Running Head: Networking Project
University of Phoenix
CMGT554 IT INFRASTRUCTURE
Patton-Fuller Community Hospital has been in business in the City of Kelsey since 1975. Patton-Fuller Community hospital structure from an IT network perspective includes logical network, administration network details, radiology, RIS data center, OR/ICU/Ward floor systems, and IT data center.
Identify how data is transmitted within the hospital and externally.
Patton-Fuller network structure for the entire hospital is 1000Base T using CAT 6 cable. Some departments are using a network structure of 1000BaseF using single mode fiber. The administrative side of the hospital is ...view middle of the document...
The layers three through one are the communication between the different devices that connected to the network. Layers seven through five deals with applications and implementing using software. Outlook/Exchange, Mac Mail, Surge Mail, is examples of software that these layers use. The previous software’s are able to perform on different platforms from UNIX to Windows. Even if the mail is being send and received on different platforms the layers help make it through without being dependent on which operating system or a particular brand of hardware being used. Layers four through one allow the data to be moved be able to go the Network Cable Plant and the Wi-Fi Networks. Both the physical layer and the data link layer are implemented through both software and hardware. Each layer of the OSI Model receives a header that is than past down to all the layers until it reaches the physical layer. In order to understand the OSI Model let it be explained as follow with the reason how Patton-Fuller is using it.
Upper layers -
7. Application- The seventh Layer is responsible for standardizing services like file transfer and/or virtual terminal.
6. Presentation- The sixth layer is responsible for making data universally understood. This makes it that no matter what platform is used that the sender and receiver of data can understand each other. It is also responsible for encrypting and decrypting data and can compress data if it is needed.
5. Session- The fifth layer is responsible for establishing, and terminating communication, between the hosts, and send information to layers above it when it is needed.
Lower layers -
4. Transport- The fourth layer is responsible for delivering the messages throughout the network. Reliable delivery of data packets, Transmission Control Protocol or TCP) and connectionless delivery of packets (Internet Protocol or IP).
3. Network- The third layer is responsible for determining how the data is to be sent from one device to another device. It also looks to find the best way to route data to be sent through, it helps the prevention of Network Congestion, or it can prevent bottle necking which in a Taken ring Network could bring the entire ring down.
2. Data link- The second layer is responsible for framing the packets for delivering over the wire. It also looks for data that may collide and will re-transmit the data if it is needed.
1. Physical- The first layer is responsible for the connection of hardware on the network to the physical media.
Identify the various protocols that are available for use, and provide a recommended standard that should be used for the hospital.
Some protocols that are available are as follows: SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol), IP (Internet Protocol), DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP), PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol).
SMTP- This protocol is used to send e-mail messages between the...