* Test 1
This is a 20 question test. Each test question is worth 5 points. You have one hour and one attempt to complete the test. You may type the question number and write the answer beside it or place your answer after each question.
Please submit the test through Bb by Tuesday at 6 PM.
1. State the reason that lawyers are licensed by the government but paralegals are not.
- Paralegals are not licensed by the government because they are not directly responsible to the public. The lawyer supervises their work and is directly responsible to the public. Therefore, lawyers must be licensed.
2. T or F
A paralegal program must be approved by the American Bar Association in order to ...view middle of the document...
A four year degree greatly improves those skills. Therefore, paralegals who get an associate's degree (two years) are encouraged to eventually get a four year degree. There are quite a few four year colleges that accept most of the associate degree credits from FTCC, so that a person with an associate's degree may transfer and take the last two years at a four year college.
7. T or F
The ABA licenses lawyers.
-False, lawyers must be licensed by the state in which they practice law, not by the ABA.
8. What does CLA stand for?
-Certified Legal Assistant
9. How does the designation in question 8 help a paralegal get a job anywhere in the US?
- Being certified gives a future employer assurance about an applicant's paralegal skills and because it is a national organization that certifies paralegals in this region of the US.
10. What do the letters UPL stand for?
- Unauthorized Practice of Law
11. Paralegals prepare legal documents in the course of their job. However, who is legally responsible to make sure that the document is prepared correctly?
- The documents must be reviewed and signed by the lawyer.
12. If a document that the paralegal prepares i not correct, then the lawyer may be sued by the client. What will probably happen to the paralegal?
- Paralegal may lose job.
13. When a non-lawyer represents himself in court, this is called _____________________