Axia College Material
* Access the Week Four Electronic Reserve Readings located under the materials section of your student website.
* Read this week’s Electronic Reserve Readings.
* Write a paragraph of approximately 100 words for each section listed below.
1. Using the critical thinking skills you have gained so far and referring to the materials provided for this assignment, identify two possible strategies that Thomas Hutchinson or Samuel Adams likely used to develop and improve their thinking as those historical events unfolded prior to taking a stand and acting according to their beliefs.
Two possible strategies that were likely used were observing the situation and comparing ideas. They would not have had anything to back them up for their stand if they did not observe the facts first. It would have been them taking a stand blindly. Once they had the facts that they needed to help with their stand ...view middle of the document...
4. What steps do you believe Samuel Adams and Thomas Hutchinson took toward becoming individuals and which steps ultimately made them such important historical figures?
They had to follow what they believed in to become an individual. The fact that they stood up and fought for what they believed in is what made them such important historical figures.
5. In this class, we have discussed common habits that hinder critical thinking. Which of these habits may have been a factor in how Samuel Adams and Thomas Hutchinson viewed the issues that led to the Boston Tea Party? How could they have overcome those habits?
Self- Deception was a factor. This is something most people face.
6. What is one important distinction you could not overlook making when critically evaluating the information provided in these materials about the Boston Tea Party? Clarify the importance of that distinction.
The fact that people were being treated unfair. The way they were taxed.
7. What strategies of critical reading, listening, and viewing did you utilize when evaluating the provided materials?
When reading I observe the main points. When listening I keep an open mind to what I hear. When viewing I observe the pictures provided.
8. Considering what you have learned about the Boston Tea Party, Samuel Adams, and Thomas Hutchinson, apply your creativity to describe what could have been done proactively to avoid the incident.
Even thought there are ways that could have avoided the incident there is no telling what other event would have occurred.
9. What techniques could you use to regain a level of curiosity about history or other subjects you learned previously in school?
I could always keep an open mind about what I learn. To be simple minded would be to keep my mind very narrow. That would cause me to have little interest in other things.
10. Explain at least two key elements for producing ideas that you believe led the American colonists to the Boston Tea Party and the eventual American Revolution.
The fact that they tried to keep too much control with the way they taxed people help lead up to it. They were too unfair.