The purpose of this document is to describe the requirements for an automation system for a college grievance cell to register the complaints online from valid users and maintain all related information. It also describes the interface, platform and other constraints.
This document is the only one that describes the requirements of the system. It is meant for the use by the developers and will be the basis for validating the final delivered system. Any change made to the requirements in the future will have to go through a formal approval process. The developer is responsible for asking clarification, where necessary, and will not make ...view middle of the document...
1.5 DEVELOPERS RESPONSIBILITIES OVERVIEW:
The developers of the system are responsible for developing the system, installing the software on the client’s hardware, conducting any user training that might be needed for using the system through soft copy of technical manual and maintaining the system for a fixed period of time after the installation.
2. GENERAL DESCRIPTION
2.1 PRODUCT FUNCTION PERSPECTIVE:
Following scenarios were collected during the interactions with Dean Academic, SDMCET, Dean Student welfare, SDMCET and other associated staff:
* The grievance cell in the college is responsible for resolving students’ grievances or complaints.
* Each student has a unique Id i.e. USN. The other attributes of student include name, branch, semester etc.
* Any student having a problem can register it through the grievance cell by specifying semester, branch and other required details.
* Each complaint is referred to by a unique complaint Id, which is assigned by the grievance cell.
* Complaints may fall under one of the following categories:
1. Academic grievances:
Complaints regarding issues like laboratories, library, faculty and teaching methods, time-table and other academic related issues.
2. Non Academic grievances:
These could be regarding transport facility provided by college, hostel related issues, internet facility, campus infrastructure, canteen etc.
* All complaints related to academics are forwarded to Dean academic, who is wholly responsible for resolving them and if needed, he might approach the concerned department or other staff like librarian, lab in-charges etc.
* Non-academic complaints are attended by Dean student welfare.
* If the grievance cannot be completely resolved by the above authorities, then they might consult the Principal as the ultimate authority.
* The registered grievances are documented so that they can be retrieved by the authorities.
* The database administrator has special privileges to add/ delete students and Deans operating on the database.
2.2 USER CHARACTERISTICS:
This system is used by 2 groups, one is the student community of SDMCET and other is the authority who resolves the grievances. Both have sound knowledge about computers and its few basic applications. Also, a special user called the Database administrator can operate on the database.
The student users will have limited privileges of only registering and viewing various complaints, where as the authority has other privileges that enable him to not only view, but also retrieve the complaints and other related data. And, the database administrator has special privileges to decide on the users of the database.
2.3 ASSUMPTIONS AND DEPENDENCIES:
* It is assumed that, initially a common password is issued to all users by system developers. The users are free to change their existing password.
* A student can view only his history...