* Came into prominence in the 1920s as an innovative cornet and trumpet player, Armstrong was a foundational influence on jazz, shifting the music’s focus from collective improvisations to solo performers
* With his distinctive gravelly voice, Armstrong was also an influential singer, demonstrating great dexterity as an improviser, bending the lyrics and melody of a song for expressive purpose
* He was also greatly skilled at ...view middle of the document...
* Was an American pianist and composer
* Johnson was one of the originators of the stride style of jazz piano playing
* James P.’s piano style later was to become a model fro the early Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Art Tatum, and Thelonious Monk. His influence continues to this day in the work of Cyrus Chestnut, Harry Connick Jr.
* Listening: Carolina Shout Form is AABCCDED 16 bards of each section