Groups and Teams
November 28, 2011
Groups and Teams
Groups and teams are important to organizations. Although people seem to believe groups and teams are the same, they are not. The two have their own social relevance and are important in their own way. To gain a better understanding of how groups and teams differ, this summary will define the two. The summary will further discuss how diversity is important in an organization and how workplace diversity relates to team dynamics.
A group consists of small collection of individuals who share equivalent abilities and skills. The members of a group must work together to accomplish their ...view middle of the document...
Therefore, teams use “we” instead of “me.”
Teams generally work well together to produce products as the result of a collective effort. Team members are collectively accountable for the products they produce. The only leadership that exists in a team is the entire team. Team members either rotate or share the leadership role.
Team leaders and team members must work hard to attain teamwork. Whether newly formed teams or “seasoned” teams, the teams will encounter problems at some point; however, it is important that the team members remain focused on the purpose of the team.
Importance of Workplace Diversity
An organization’s competitiveness and success depends upon how it embraces workplace diversity. Workplace diversity is the differences among people in an organization. The differences include personality, gender, race, age, ethnic group, and more. When organizations realize the amount of workplace diversity it has, and determine and carry out diversity plans, it reaps rewarding benefits such as:
* Increased amount of solutions to problems because of individual experiences and talents.
* Providing services globally because of experiences and skills (bilingual).
* More ideas and experiences as the result of varying viewpoints through communication.
* Higher productivity through encouraging diversity as a way to inspire employees to do their best.
Just as workplace diversity has its benefits, there are challenges as well. Challenges that organizations face include:
* Communication – Ineffective communication causes lack of teamwork, confusion, and low morale.
* Change resistance – The “we do it this way” mentality hinders new ideas.
* Management of Diversity – Organizations must develop and carry out strategies to create a diverse culture throughout the organization.
If an organization overcomes...