Assignment No. 2 (Paper)
August 5, 2012
In assignment number (2), for this paper I will compare and contrast three (3) state agencies’ personnel evaluation systems, analyze and summarize four (4) key factors to consider in implementing a public personnel evaluation system, and describe four (4) challenges public managers must consider in implementing a public personnel evaluation system. As it relates to Personnel Evaluation, there are certain performance evaluation process supported by supervisors and employees there are important components of any merit system to consider. ...view middle of the document...
Universal Performance Factors: counsel and advise employee, and make objective personnel decisions.
Analyze and summarize four (4) key factors to consider in implementing a public personnel evaluation system.
(1) Leadership is serious in planning and positioning effective performance measurement and management systems. Therefore, I believe employees will need to see that you are leading by example so that the system you are implementing will be effective;
(2) A solid conceptual framework is needed for the performance measurement and effective management system. In addition, guidelines and rubrics are useful for employees to have something to work towards;
(3) An effective internal and external communication systems, for they are the keys to successful performance measurement. This is especially important to the communication between management and employees. Thus, communication is the only way both parties involved stay on the same page to ensure they are both working toward the same goals for the organization; and
(4) There should also be effective accountability systems for results must be clearly assigned and well-understood. This is just another area for communication, for as a manager you need to be clear on any and every task assigned; and then in turn as employee you need to let the manager know exactly you fully expected and that will show up in your overall job performance. http://www.orau.gov/pbm/pbmhandbook/volume%202.pdf
Describe four (4) challenges public managers must consider in implementing a public personnel evaluation system.
(1) Agencies have difficulty accepting accountability for achieving outcome goals when they have little or no direct control over the outcome;
(2) If an agency is willing to accept accountability for an outcome goal, defining that goal is often difficult. Hence, the Office of manage Bureau (OMB) defines...