Topic: Is current marketed Destination Mix in Hong Kong sustainable to satisfy Mainland tourists’ needs?
To analyze whether the current major tourism attractions, which is promoted by the Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB) to mainland tourists –luxurious shopping, is attractive enough keep the group of mainland tourist coming to Hong Kong in the next decade.
1. Understand the psychological reason behinds the current travel-shopping needs of the majority of mainland tourist.
* The demographic segment of the travel-shopping travelers is middle-aged white-collar. They earn good income and can afford high-end items.
* Self-esteem needs. They perceive luxury goods as symbols of high social status and they can gain respect because of holding the items.
* Motivation to travel: Luxury items is duty free in Hong Kong, cheaper than buying in Mainland
* Impression to Hong ...view middle of the document...
e. safari vacations to Kenya, organized small groups to New York to buy properties or to South Korea for cosmetic surgeries.
* Southeast Asia is popular among the young white-collar workers, who don't have the time or money to go as far as Europe.
* The new generations would do their own research online, go beyond big buses of group tourists.
3. Analysis of the Hong Kong Tourism marketing campaign effectiveness
* Travel Information search process: The tourists would search the destination information online by themselves and make their decision.
* Current tourism promotion of HK:
i) HKTB’s “Asia’s World City” marketing theme – promoted events such as Summer Spectacular, Hong Kong Dragon Boat Carnival , Mid-Autumn Festival, Hong Kong WinterFest
ii) Partner with Pan-PRD region to promote Hong Kong as a multi-destination to the tourist in Berlin, Britain and other central Europe tourists
iii) Developed first social media and smart phone travel apps series: DiscoverHongKong to promote Hong Kong
* However, these promotion of Hong Kong destination mix cannot match the needs of the mainland tourists who looks for relax and excitement experience.
* HKTB does not understand the tourists’ new needs. It cannot put related information into its communication channel to effectively let the tourist discover HK attractions during the information search
4. Recommendations for marketing HK as a destination that suits the mainland tourists’ new needs.
* HKTB should understand the trend of mainland tourist needs and continuously modify its promotion according to tourists’ needs
* Promote other tourism resources which matches the new tourists’ needs in a large extent:
Excitement : i.e. Natural environment activity: Hiking and Climbing in Sai Kung and other outlying island rocky regions
Relax: Hotel, Spa, hair treatment, facial
* Continue to use various marketing communication channels to promote the new attractions: mainland social media, press release, TV commercials, mobile apps to arouse people attention to Hong Kong others attractions