Running head: [INSERT TITLE HERE]
[INSERT TITLE HERE]
Allied American University
This paper was prepared for [INSERT COURSE NAME], [INSERT COURSE ASSIGNMENT] taught by [INSERT INSTRUCTOR’S NAME].
Directions: Please answer each of the following questions. Ensure that each response is at least 1 paragraphs in length. Please visit the Academic Resource Center (ARC) for concise APA guidelines.
1. Assume you have just started your own business and are ready to hire some employees. How could you use the ARDM model to guide your initial HR strategy?
2. The productivity of the workforce is essential for the success of an organization. What HRM activities and programs can impact productivity?
3. Historically HRM activities were developed and implemented by a department or ...view middle of the document...
a) What will organizations have to do to adapt to the influx of needed Generation Y individuals?
b) Is Generation Y really that different than previous generations that entered the workforce in large numbers? Explain.
c) Will Generation Y individuals have to make adjustments in their style, preferences, and interests to be successful in their careers?
7. Assume that you've started to expand your company's operations into India and China. This is the first time that your company is "going international." Should the HR department recommend the company use an ethnocentric or polycentric staffing approach?
8. In addition to having good technical skills, what other skills should an expatriate have in order to be successful in an international assignment?
9. What types of information should be included in cross-cultural training for expatriates? Should spouses and family members be included in the training?
10. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using PCNs and HCNs for filling key managerial and technical positions in an international organization.
11. Why are so many multinational companies using short-term international assignments (less than one year in length)? Which would you prefer, a long- or short-term international assignment?
12. Read Application Case 4.1: A One-Year Assignment to China: Go Solo or Bring the Family? in Chapter 4 and answer the following questions.
a) How challenging do you think this assignment would be? To what degree will Nick's start-up experience in the United States help him be effective starting McDonald's restaurants in China?
b) How can language and cross-cultural training help Nick and his family adjust to Chinese culture?
c) If Ella goes to china for a year, how might that decision impact her career? What are her chances of working for the local law firm when she returns from China?
d) What would you do if you were Nick? Go alone to China, or ask Ella, Jenny, and Luke to accompany you?