Running head: Gay Marriage 1
Gay Marriage: Yay or Nay?
Ethics and Social Responsibility
Prof. Martin Dibello
June 8, 2011
Gay Marriage 2
Gay Marriage: Yay or Nay?
Being in a caring relationship is important to most people. Finding a partner and having an intimate, long-lasting, and committed relationship is what families are based on. If that partner is of the same sex does that make the union wrong? Depends on who you ask and what do ...view middle of the document...
Everywhere you look there are still folks who want to deny same-sex couples the respect and dignity that come with marriage (Capehart, 2011). Some of the arguments against gay marriage are
1. Marriage is institution between one man and one woman. Interpretation from the Bible verse, "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination" (The Holy Bible, Leviticus 18:22).
2. Marriage is for procreation. What about couples who choose not to have children or cannot have children? Or couples who choose to marry after they are of childbearing age?
3. Same-sex couples aren't the optimum in which to raise children. However; murders, sex offenders, thieves, and etc., are allowed to marry.
4. Gay relationships are immoral and violate the sacred institution of marriage. This is suposedly being based on a Bible verses also, what about freedom from religion? The Bible has no standing in American law. There is also no Bible verse that mentions same-sex marriage.
5. Marriages are for the ensuring the continuation of a species. It is hard to believe that if the 10% of the population who are gay married and had no children that the species would be in trouble of extinction?
Gay Marriage 4
6. Same-sex marriage would threaten the intuition of marriage. Threaten marriage if they are allowed to marry?
7. We shouldn't alter heterosexual marriage, which is a traditional intuition that goes back to the dawn of time. Slavery goes back to the dawn of time also and laws were written to abolish it. No one is proposing to alter the heterosexual marriage laws.
8. Same-sex marriage is an untried social experiment. This is simply not true. Same sex marriage has been allowed legally in Demark since 1989.
9. Same-sex marriage would start us down a "slippery slope" towards legalized incest, bestial marriage, polygamy and all manner of other horrible consequences. This has been thought up to instill fear in the minds of people who do not know better. Gay marriage has been legal in Scandinavian countries for years and no such legalization has happened.
10. Churches would be forced to marry gay people against their will. This makes no since at all. There are so many marriages to which many churches object, such as interracial marriage, interfaith marriage, the marriage of divorcees, etc., and yet no state law requires any church to marry the couple when the church objects to the marriage.
Gay Marriage ...