Gurdon and Alexi Summary Opinion Paper – W 130
The objective of this paper is to practice introducing a conversation/debate, briefly summarizing two article’s main points in your own words, and offering your position in regards to the debate by responding to the arguments in an academic way.
-Utilize the templates provided to structure your paper.
-Avoid quoting any text. Use your own words and sentence structure, not the author’s.
Summary Critique Layout:
1) Begin your summary by setting up the debate for the paper. Then begin your brief summary of either Gurdon or Alexi. Utilize this template:
* In recent discussions of _____, a controversial issue has been whether _____. On ...view middle of the document...
- Center your response on how well the arguments were constructed. Did the authors convince you of their argument? Why/why not? Stay focused on the articles’ arguments and evidence – not your own experiences. How effective was the author’s arguments/evidence and what do you suggest to improve her arguments? Templates:
* After reviewing these two articles, my own view is that _______. (explain why you believe this view. What piece(s) of information from the article fortified your opinion?)
* Although I concede that ______, I still maintain that ________. (Even though you can see the opposite side, why do you still believe your position?)
* Ultimately, ______. (Leave the reader with something to think about regarding your position. Why should readers be pulled to consider agreeing with your opinion?)
* The Final Typed 2-2½ Page Summary/Opinion Paper Is Due: September 11th.
Points to keep in mind when writing this summary/opinion:
* Do not quote any of their material; paraphrase their arguments and claims. Instead of enhancing our comprehension and engaging with the material,...