Katrina Rose S. Mendoza
MGT 202 – Wednesday 1:00-4:00 PM
Effective Leadership and Management on the Eight to Five Jungle
Founded on November 28, 1928, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Its mission is to be the preferred full service provider of voice, video and data at the most attractive levels of price, service quality, content and coverage, thereby bringing maximum benefit to the Company’s stakeholders. Its core values of ACCOUNTABILITY, INTEGRITY, FAIRNESS and TRANSPARENCY are integral to work as it defines the quality of service to the company and its various stakeholders.
When PLDT was incorporated ...view middle of the document...
It was a symbol of national pride and a moment of triumph for Filipinos. Under Cojuangco’s leadership, PLDT embarked on expansion campaigns that led to more Filipinos owning and benefiting from phones. The late 1990’s was a time of formidable challenges for PLDT, especially after the 1997 Asian financial crisis. Inauspicious as it may seem at the time, however, Manuel V. Pangilinan of Hong Kong-based First Pacific Co. Ltd. saw a great opportunity in taking control of PLDT. Its entry brought in a new culture and new enterprise that continuous to change the lives of Filipinos.
The Company’s Treasury Operations are mainly classified as follows:
* Disbursements – This process pertains to the handling, issuance and releasing of Company checks, payment intentions, and processing of foreign exchange transactions.
* Receipts – Refers to the process of receiving and handling of payments for all PLDT products and services. Involves arranging payment channels for our collections and bank pick-up of deposits in various PLDT business offices.
* Cash Planning – Involves planning and monitoring of the Company’s liquidity position, based on forecasted operating activities, capital expenditures, maturing debts and other obligations.
* Financing – This process involves sourcing of funding for our various operating and capital expenditure requirements, negotiation of financing terms and conditions, review and processing of loan documentation, handling of debt servicing requirements and monitoring of covenant compliance.
* Investments – These transactions comprise of investments of Company’s excess funds in money market instruments and other approved structured products while awaiting payment dates of the Company’s obligations.
* Hedging / Derivatives – These pertain to hedging transactions which the Company enters into in order to reduce and/or manage the adverse impact of changes in foreign exchange rates and interest rates on the Company’s operating results and cash flows.
Treasury Center is configured under the Corporate Finance and Treasury Sector, and has Treasury Management Division and Treasury Operations Division under it.
The Treasury Management Division formulates, recommends and implements treasury risk management policies and guidelines. It monitors and manages foreign exchange, interest rate, and treasury counterparty exposure risks so as the overall cash flow and liquidity of the Company. It evaluates, recommends and executes financing facilities to achieve the PLDT’s funding requirements. It maximizes utilization of Company and selected subsidiaries and affiliates’ (S&As) funds through money market investments. It also assists the Beneficial Trust Fund Trustees in monitoring and managing the overall performance of the various investments of the Beneficial Trust Fund and ensure that the financial objectives as determined are met.
The Treasury Operations Division, which I belong to, prepares,...