Love Does Not Hurt: Domestic Violence in the United States
December 21, 2014
COM510-Q2196 Knowledge and New Media 15TW2
Domestic Violence is sadly a common issue in today’s society for both men and women. An article written by Alonna Vagianas found in the Huffington Post “30 shocking Domestic Violence Statistics That Remind Us It’s an Epidemic” tells us that 85 percent of domestic abuse victims are women, while the other 15 percent are men. This shows us how women are much more likely to be victims of intimate partner abuse. The title of the article I chose to research is Domestic Abuse 'ordinary in US and can be found on CNN’s website. The article was ...view middle of the document...
If you yourself have never been a victim of domestic violence or the abuser, chances are you know someone who has. In the text of the article, Jane Stover acknowledges that 1 in 3 teen girls, women suffer partner violence. Domestic abuse can happen at any age and between anybody. A physical altercation is not the only form of domestic abuse. Domestic abuse can be physical, verbal, emotional as well as sexual. When you think about all the different forms of abuse that can take place between two people, it really puts a broader perspective onto the issue. In case there is any confusion as to what exactly domestic violence is; domestic violence and emotional abuse are any behaviors used by one person in a relationship to control the other. Partners may be married or not married; heterosexual, gay or lesbian; living together, separated or dating. Violence can be criminal and includes physical assault (hitting, pushing, shoving, etc.), sexual abuse (unwanted or forced sexual activity), and stalking. Although emotional, psychological and financial abuse are not criminal behaviors, they are forms of abuse and can lead to criminal violence. The violence takes many forms and can happen all the time or once in a while. Victims can be of any age, sex, race, culture, religion, education, employment or marital status. Although both men and women can be abused, most victims are women. Children in homes where there is domestic violence are more likely to be abused and/or neglected. Most children in these homes know about the violence. Even if a child is not physically harmed, they may have emotional and behavior problems. As I stated, I have not personally been a victim of domestic violence, but I have witnessed it between my parents. As a result, I have issues within my own marriage. Although my husband is not abusive in any form, I tend to take a lot of things out of context and am constantly on alerts for any signs of abuse.
In this article, Jane Stover highlights the laws or the lack thereof of domestic violence. In our country, one-in-three high school girls and women experience intimate partner violence, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. That is: one-third of our female population experiences untold physical, psychological, and developmental harm. Stated another way, domestic abuse occurs at rates higher than the combined number of automobile accidents, stranger rapes, and muggings that women experience. Jane Stover states how Janay asked for privacy, which is very understandable considering the circumstances. However, we do not have to talk about Janay Rice just to shed light on the issue of domestic violence. Sadly, our society and legal systems have largely failed to prevent or respond to intimate partner violence. Historically, as long as a husband didn't kill or maim his wife, he would not be prosecuted. During the 1800s and 1900s, legal doctrine gave the husband the right of chastisement over his wife and immunity for...