• In 4 women will be a victim of domestic violence in their lifetime – many of these on a number of occasions.
• One incident of domestic violence is reported to the police every minute.
• On average, 2 women a week are killed by a current or former male partner.
• Domestic violence accounts for between 16% and one quarter of all recorded violent crime
• Domestic violence accounts for between 16% and one quarter of all
• recorded violent crime
Why is it hidden?
• There are a few reasons on why:
• They may be ashamed of what has happened
• They may feel they were to some extent to blame
• They may love their partner and not want him to be criticized or punished for what he did
• They may think it was a one-off event and won’t happen again
• They may be frightened that if they tell anyone about it, ...view middle of the document...
Domestic violence happens normally dude to the build up of rage then it has to be releases at some point and inside a family it is the easiest to let out the anger since you know the people and the abuser are led to believe that they are entitled to do what they want, so when they are pushed off the edge their rage turns into physical aggression. It is a terrible thing to happen to someone and unfortunately it happens so often but the best way to reduce is for people to understand the causes and the reason behind why it happens in the first place. There are no excuses for abuse but often in society a person is put under a lot of pressure and is suppressed to do things well and get ahead in society, this could be a finical thing normally. Most of the time it is the women who gets abused often don’t tend to walk away form the violence, it seems to be awfully difficult for some to walk away, no matter how hard the relationship is, there are 2 main types of factors contributing to it, one is society: when they leave their relation the society looks at them as abnormal and they are not seen as normal in society and can be treated and looked differently. Secondly it’s the cultural factors which are obvious to understand. It could also be that they are dependent finically on the person who is abusing them walking away could mean that they may have to live in the streets this adds more pressure on fitting into the society. When abuse occurs between 2 partners their children are put under a lot of stress and most of them are traumatized by the witness of violence. The children in these homes are at high risk of being battered themselves by either the battered or the victim. In addition, the long-term effects of witnessing such violence can create a cycle of violence that spans generations. There are statics to show that the witnessing of abuse or violence as a young child results in violence in their future, they carry it on into their own relationships as an adult.