Assignment 2 – Chapters 5 thru 9 Journal
1. If students sit in the same classroom, read the same assignments, and hear the same lectures, are they all receiving the same education? Might these students interpret the same lesson differently because of the social worlds in which they live? Page 133
I believe that even though students have the same opportunities and environment in the same exact classroom, they are all still not receiving the same education. This all depends on their mental capacities, the amount of attention they give, and if they understand the assignments and lectures. Everyone can have different experiences and take in different ...view middle of the document...
If a fellow employee tells you a joke about gays during your lunch break, how would you react? Why? Page 147
6. Google yourself. What is written about you? What pictures of you, and messages written by you, appear? What does your online image reveal about you? Page 161
7. Google the phrase “unique social networks.” Visit at least three online social networking sites geared toward people from cultural backgrounds that are very different from your own. Identify these sites and the audience they target. In general, how do they add to your awareness and understanding of diversity? Page 164
8. What benefits do you reap from your social network? Are these benefits economic, social, and/or psychological? Page 164
9. According to William Powers, becoming more creative and productive requires us to be disconnected for periods of time. By balancing connectedness with disconnectedness, we can leverage diversity. In an era in which connectivity is the norm, Powers maintains that we need to create time and space for solitude and reflection, do you agree with Powers? Why or why not? Page 166
10. Pew Research findings show that education is the best predictor of a diverse social network. How do you think your educational level impacts the diversity of your social network? Page 169
11. In what ways does your social class affect your use of social media? Page 173
12. Do your interactions with social network and social media increase or decrease your diversity consciousness? Explain. Page 180
13. How do you effectively team with a group of people you have never met face to face? Page 196
14. Given your plans for the future, how will developing teamwork skills benefit you? Page 197
15. Consider the times you have participated on teams. When was diversity, within these teams, an asset? Why? When was it a liability? Why? Page 201
16. More often than not, teams operate at less than peak efficiency. Why? Page 201
17. Think back to a situation in which there was conflict that you needed to manage. How did you deal with the conflict? What was the outcome? What did this experience teach you about conflict management?...