Connecting to a Network
Fill in the Blank
Complete the following sentences by writing the correct word or words in the blanks provided.
1. A software routine, which also acts as a filter that blocks certain type of incoming and outgoing traffic, while enabling other types is called a __________________.
Firewall P. 163
2. The __________________ tool provides a central access point for all of the network controls and connections on a computer running Windows 7.
Network and Sharing Center P. 162
3. A device that connects one network to another is called a __________________.
Router P. 149
4. The most common method for illustrating the operations of a networking stack is the __________________, which consists of __________________ layers.
Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) reference model, seven P. 160
5. Protocols that do not guarantee delivery of their data, but do operate with a very low overhead that conserve network bandwidth are called ...view middle of the document...
The Windows 7 utility that displays a list of the routers currently forwarding packets to a particular destination is called __________________.
Tracert.exe P. 177
10. The top and bottom layers of the OSI model are called the __________________ and ________________ layers.
application and physical P. 160
True / False
1. The purpose of Network Diagnostics is to display error messages only.
False. Network Diagnostics does not display error messages only; it tells you in clear language what might be wrong and what you have to do to repair the problem.
2. Transport layer protocols are not concerned with addressing packets to the correct system.
3. The Network Map utility uses a new protocol called Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) to discover information about the network and the devices attached to it.
4. The protocols that Windows uses by default at the network and transport layers are collectively called TCP/IP.
5. Home and work computers have Network Discovery turned on, and public computers have it turned off.
6. There are two basic types of port numbers: ephemeral port numbers and well-known port numbers. True.
7. A Windows 7 computer that is connected to a LAN has a hardware address and a computer that is connected to the Internet has an IP address.
False. LAN and Internet computers have both hardware addresses and IP addresses.
8. The only two layers of the OSI reference model that do not have individual protocols associated with them are the transport layer and the session layer.
False. The two layers of the OSI reference model that do not have individual protocols associated with them are the session layer and the presentation layer.
9. Because the configuration of the Internet is constantly changing, the only way you can know for certain what route packets are taking to a specific destination is to use Tracert.exe.
False. Because the configuration of the Internet is constantly changing, there is no guarantee that the route displayed by Tracert.exe is completely accurate. Each time the path could be different.
10. The IPv6 addresses Windows 7 computers use at the network layer are six-byte hexadecimal sequences, hard coded into each network interface adapter by the manufacturer.
False. IPv6 addresses are 128 bits (16 bytes) long and are usually automatically assigned by the TCP/IP client.