Training and development is the main part in Human Resource Management (HRM). It is very significant for employees to enhance their performance and productivity, which leads to employee and customer satisfaction and an increase in the profitability of the organization.This report will be discussed by Australian public organization that named Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)in several aspects.
1. Introduce the background of DFAT, including background of the organization, the organization goals and strategy;
2. Link with DFAT to analyze five theories about training and development, which are cross-culture training, training design, development and managing ...view middle of the document...
Aiming to ensure flexibility for employees to better balance their professional and personal lives;
5. Promoting employee commitment to DFAT by upholding workplace diversity, anti discrimination and employee-friendly principles;
6. Enhancing employee development through a positive working environment that emphasizes well-focused training and career development.
In Annual Report (2010), it mentioned two new programs were implemented for non-SES staffs that are Leadership and Management Development Program, and Professional Skills Development Program. Except that, DFAT has Trainee Problem such as exchange officer, Language Training and Studies Assistance that is financial assistance for tertiary study related to the department’s work.
CONCEPTS / THEORIES
• Cross-cultural Training: the preparation of employees and their families to enable them to understanding the culture and norms of the country they are going to, and to help them prepare to return home at the end of their assignment (Raymond & Colin 2nd ed. 2012 pp.369).
• Training Design: training theories of transfer of training have implication for training design: the theory of identical elements, the stimulus generalization approach and cognitive theory (Raymond & Colin 2nd ed. 2012).
• Development: means formal education, job experiences, relationships and assessments of personality and ability that help employees to prepare for the future (Raymond & Colin 2nd ed. 2012 pp.318)
• Managing Diversity: the creation of an environment that provide fair and positive treatment jobs for all employees to contribute to organization goals and experience personal growth (Raymond & Colin 2nd ed. 2012).
Supporting of the Indigenous employment program are provide employee with effective communication, border career development and also can build believe with parties each other (Thorpe 2005). The issue of AustralianIndigenous was represented internationally by DFAT and was provided the opportunity of indigenous to make a strong contribution to DFAT’S work. Indigenous Employees’ Network, which is not only provides support and guide for new Indigenous staffs, but also manages branch with other department’s staff thereby provides advise such as recruitment and retention strategies. According to DFAT (2011b),the DFAT Families Network developed a number of proposals to assist families with the challenges of moving overseas and back to Australia, including through the provision of information resources, social events for DFAT families, a speaker program and liaison with management to raise and resolve issues of concern and interest to DFAT families. However, cross cultures in work place also increases the conflict of interest due to the different background of the country and history. So it is important for employees understand how their values and stereotypes influence their behavior towards others of different gender, ethnic, racial or religious backgrounds. DFAT applied the virtual...