Persuasive Speech Outline
Using Problem-Solution Speech Organization Pattern
Topic: Death Penalty
Organizational Pattern: Problem-Solution
Specific Purpose: To persuade you’ll that the death penalty should be abolished.
Primary Audience Outcome: I want you’ll to become willing to contact their local lawmakers to make the necessary change to eliminate the death penalty as form of capital punishment.
(Attention Getter) After committing a capital crime which is defined as a crime such as first-degree murder or rape of a child, a large percentage of people are sentenced to capital punishment. The end result is absolute death! But what if you were ...view middle of the document...
2. Critics also argue that most criminals who are executed are African American, making capital punishment an example of what they describe as the U.S.'s institutionalized racism. Issues & Controversies On File (2009).
C. It is not cost effective.
1. A death penalty case runs about $2.3 million in state and local costs, compared with $750,000 for a life-without-parole case. Costanzo (1994).
2. The taxpayers as a whole have to pick up the tab in the long run.
Now that you know how use of the death penalty affects you, I would like to discuss what we should do about the problem.
A. An alternate choice to the death penalty is life without parole.
1. Critics favor life imprisonment because prisoners found to be innocent while serving a life sentence have some chance of resuming a normal life if their sentence is reversed. Issues & Controversies On File (2009).
2. Life without parole forces a murderer to live out their remorseful life, whereas capital punishment saves them from living it.
Now, that I have informed you about some the questionable uses of capital punishment. I will propose a solution of using an alternative form of punishment, life without the possibility of parole as the ultimate punishment for a capital crime.