This website uses cookies to ensure you have the best experience. Learn more

Cystic Fibrosis Essay

1532 words - 7 pages

Stephen O’Dea

Case Study #1

Baby Sam

October 21, 2013 

Mr. Ferranti








 --This case study is in dedication to April Pitts, a friend of mine suffering from Cystic Fibrosis. Stay strong April--

Mary and Brandon adopted a three-year old toddler named Sam two weeks ago. Sam is good-natured and very inquisitive. Typically, before the finalization of an adoption, children are required to undergo a routine examination by a physician. However, the required examination is not meant to be a complete health screening, and many conditions are not even checked. Therefore, Mary and Brandon are bringing Sam to Trinity Medical Center for a standard ...view middle of the document...

There is slight elevation in neutrophils. Chest x-ray results: Some hyperinflation and bronchial wall thickening is apparent. Mary expressed her concern over the color of Sam’s sputum. Mary was upset that she had forgotten to tell the pediatrician the other day about this fact. The sputum Sam had been coughing up was green and viscid. While talking with Mary and Brandon about Sam’s sputum, the pediatrician looked over at Sam and noticed a white “frosting” on his face (the “frosting” is an indication of salty build-up on the drying edge of sweat). The pediatrician asked Mary and Brandon if they had noticed this salty build-up before. “That must be why his skin tastes a little salty when I kiss him on the cheek,” Mary replied. The pediatrician then ordered a sweat chloride test which came back at 60 millimoles per liter.

Sam is suffering from Cystic Fibrosis (CF). CF is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 Worldwide). About 1000 new cases of cystic fibrosis are diagnosed each year. Moreover, more than 70% of patients are diagnosed by age two, and more than 45% of the CF patient population is age 18 or older. The disease is very life threatening. In the 1950s, few children with cystic fibrosis lived to attend elementary school. Today, advances in research and medical treatments have further enhanced and extended life for children and adults with CF. Many people with the disease can now expect to live into their 30s, 40s, and beyond. The average life span is about 38 if in good health.

The driving factor behind CF is the gene cycstic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator or CFTR for short. The gene is autosamal recessive because it is not based on the sex of the individual, and a child can only inherit one gene from the parent. A patient can receive CF if both parents carry the CF gene. So the child has a 25% chance of having CF, 50% chance of carrying the CF gene, and a 25% chance of having neither. The gene affects the way how chloride, used in salt, is spread across cell membranes, causing mucus, usually thin and water-like, to become thick (1). In addition, the disease also increases the amount of goblet cells, which in turn causes hyperplasia or metaplasia (5). These abnormally thick secretions affect a variety of glands (exocrine) and cause inflammation, blockage, and excess secretion (3). Such secretions include: saliva, sweat, tears, or primarily anything producing mucus, and this includes anything internal or external. The most affected glands are the glands in the lung, and the sweat glands on the skin. This also contributes to green and viscid color of the sputum, because the thick viscous mucus gets clogged up around the lungs and respiratory system, causing the patient to develop a violent cough, and have shortness of breath (2). When a patient has CF for an extended amount of time, it...

Other Papers Like Cystic Fibrosis

Cystic Fibrosis Essay

1186 words - 5 pages Cystic fibrosis is the most common autosomal recessive genetic disease of white Indo-Europeans (Caucasians). Three main systems are usually affected by cystic fibrosis. These include the lungs and respiratory tract, the digestive tract (especially the pancreas and intestines) and the sweat glands. The lungs will normally have a thick mucus line them in cases of cystic fibrosis which requires physiotherapy to dislodge the mucus and create

Cystic Fibrosis Essay

607 words - 3 pages Cystic Fibrosis Cystic Fibrosis (CF) is a life threatening disorder that causes severe damage to lungs and digestive system. CF affects the cells that produce mucus, sweat and digestive juices. These secreted fluids are normally thin and slippery but, in CF a defective gene causes the secretions to become thick and sticky. Instead of acting as a lubricant the secretions plug up tubes, ducts and passage ways especially in lungs and pancreas. CF

Cystic Fibrosis by Barbara Porter

886 words - 4 pages CYSTIC FIBROSIS BARBARA PORTER DECEMBER 3, 2008 Cystic Fibrosis is an inherited disease that affects several of the major systems of the human body. These systems are the respiratory system, the digestive system, the sweat glands, and the reproductive system. If affects these systems because an abnormal gene causes the normally watery mucus in certain organs to become thick and sticky. This thick sticky mucus can block air passages in

Gene Therapy Target Cystic Fibrosis

2274 words - 10 pages Cystic fibrosis, also known as mucoviscidosis, is an autosomal recessive disorder.1,2,22 It is the most common inherited disease in the Caucasian population affecting 1 in 3000 children in Western Europe.3 It is a multiorgan disorder caused by mutations in the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) protein, which is located on the long arm of chromosome 7 and encodes for a special chloride ion channel.4,5 The vast majority of

Current Research on Cystic Fibrosis Gene Therapy Suggests That It Will Become an Important Treatment Strategy

2615 words - 11 pages Current research on cystic fibrosis gene therapy suggests that it will become an important treatment strategy INTRODUCTION: Cystic fibrosis is an autosomal recessive disease, triggered by mutation in the gene CFTR i.e. cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator. CFTR is an ABC gene i-e ATP-binding cassette (transporter) gene that encodes a protein. This CFTR protein is a chloride ion channel protein that controls the flow of

Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

516 words - 3 pages Obstructive Pulmunary Disease A. Hallmarks 1.Airflow limitation 2.Irreversible type disease: (COPD) Emphysema, bronchitis, asthma, cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis,bronchiolitis 3.Reversible Type:Hyper-reactive airway disease, Athma, chronic inflammatory disease B.Airflow reduction REduced bronchiole Tone elevated air trapping FEV1 is reduced Emphysema: low elastic recoil of bronchiles, low air flow, low airway tone, pressure drive of

Gene Therapy

583 words - 3 pages gene. Most diseases also involve the interaction of the environment. Many people who develop cancer not only inherit the gene for the disorder, but also may smoke to contribute to the disease. With technology advancing, it is not out of the question to understand and fully develop successful gene therapy techniques. Currently, scientists are working on a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. It may sound ridiculous, but scientists in Philadelphia have

Current Competing Theories of the Origin of Life on Earth: It Arrived from an Extraterrestrial Source; It Originated as a Heterotrophy; It Originated as an Autotrophy

862 words - 4 pages develop them during their lifetime. Common mutation diseases include cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, color vision deficiency and Tay-Sachs disease.A common, inherited genetic disease known as cystic fibrosis affects mainly the Caucasian population of the United States, according to the Genetics Home Reference. The disease occurs in 1 out of 2,500 to 3,500 Caucasian newborns. Cystic fibrosis affects the mucus glands, causing progressive damage to

The Connection Between The Central Dogma Of Molecular Biology/ Bioinformatics, Model Organism And Drug Designing

414 words - 2 pages evolutionary studies, micro array analysis, identification of genetic disorders (Alzheimer’s disease, breast cancer, cystic fibrosis, spinal muscular atrophy etc.) Discoveries have revealed that despite of the universality of the central dogma the regulation mechanisms in cells tend to create variations in the results of the same genetic material. This denotes the fact that DNA is not the only source of information that is to be used in analyzing

Physical Disabilities

5468 words - 22 pages neurological disability Cystic fibrosis is a congenital disease caused by a faulty gene inherited from the parents. If both of the parents have the faulty gene there is a 25% chance the child will have cystic fibrosis, there is also a 50% probability of the child being a gene carrier and a 25% possibility they will not have the faulty cystic fibrosis gene. This gene controls the movement of salt and water in and out of your cells, so the lungs and

Laboratory Diagnosis of Respiratory Infections

1568 words - 7 pages pneumonia including ventilator associated pneumonia, bronchitis, chronic airway infection in cystic fibrosis patients, lung abscess, and tuberculosis. Specimen types submitted for the detection of etiology of these infections include: sputum, induced sputum, tracheal aspirates, non-bronchoscopic bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) from intubated patients, and bronchoscopically obtained specimens including bronchial washes and BAL, and pleural fluid

Related Essays

Cystic Fibrosis Essay

639 words - 3 pages BI 112 Genetic Paper Cystic Fibrosis Cystic fibrosis is a disease that can be genetically passed down to offspring. According to the cystic fibrosis foundation’s website, “it affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States,” and “70,000 worldwide” ( The online website lab tests online, records that cystic fibrosis “is a relatively common disease caused by mutations in the gene

Cystic Fibrosis Essay 676 Words

676 words - 3 pages Cystic fibrosis and the new drug Kalydeco Cystic fibrosis is genetic disease affecting the respiratory and digestive system, eventually leading to early death (Marieb, 2012). This disease is inherited from your parents who both must carry this gene (WebMD staff, 2012). According to Grossman and Grossman (2005) there are numerous variances that can occur to the gene CFTR resulting in the disease manifestation, but the majority has the defect

Cystic Fibrosis Essay 2618 Words

2618 words - 11 pages Anna Beeck The Need to Breath Physiology 310 - Section 3 T.A. - Sheree Speckman November 15, 2011 Introduction: Cystic Fibrosis is one of the most common chronic lung diseases in children and young adults. It is an inherited deadly disorder that affects Caucasians in the United States. Cystic fibrosis of CF is a disease that is caused by a defected gene, which causes the lungs to build up with an abnormally thick and sticky fluid, or

Cystic Fibrosis Essay 3700 Words

3700 words - 15 pages F. Alvarez, L. Bauer, S. Getahun, L. Hernandez, and E. Simpson BSCI 440 Discussion Tu 2pm CF Group Research Paper Cystic Fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of approximately 30,000 children and adults in the United States and approximately 70,000 people worldwide. A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that causes two main issues: 1