♦ ETHICAL BEHAVIOR AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY ♦
Ethical Behavior- is that which is accepted as “good” and “right” as opposed to “bad” or “wrong” in the context of the governing moral code.
Laws and Values as Determinate of Ethical Behavior
* Personal Values- the underlying beliefs and attitudes that help determine individual behavior.
* Terminal Values- are preference about desired ends, such as the goal’s one strives to achieve in life.
Ex. Self-respect, family security, freedom and happiness.
* Instrumental Values- preferences regarding the means for accomplishing these ends.
Ex. Honesty, ambition, imagination, and self-discipline.
Alternative Views of Ethics
Four ...view middle of the document...
Lawrence Kohlberg describes the three levels of moral development:
♦ Preconventional ♦ Conventional ♦ Postconventional
◄ Preconventional Level- the individual is self-centered. Moral thinking is largely limited to issues of punishments, obedience, and personal interest.
◄ Conventional Level- the individual is more social-centered.
◄ Postconventional Level- the individual is strongly principle-centered.
Ethics Intensity or Issue Intensity- indicates the degree to which an issue or a situation is recognized to pose important ethical challenges.
4 Common rationalizations that may be used to justify misconduct in situations that pose Ethical Dilemmas
* Convincing yourself that a behavior is not really illegal.
* Convincing yourself that a behavior is in everyone’s best increases.
* Convincing yourself that nobody will ever find out what you’ve done.
* Convincing yourself that the organization will “protect” you.
♦ ETHICAL BEHAVIOR AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILTY ♦
Ethics Training- takes the form of structured programs to help participants understand the Ethical aspects of decision making.
Codes of Ethical Conduct
Code of Ethics- is a formal statement of values and ethical standards.
Immoral Manager- chooses to behave unethically.
Amoral Manager- also disregards the ethics of the action, and ethics of the act on a decision, but does so unintentionally or unknowingly.
Moral Manager- makes ethical behavior a personal goal.
Whistleblower- exposes the misdeeds of others in organization.
Social Responsibility and Corporate Government
Sustainability- is acting in ways that support a high quality of life for present and future generations.
Corporate Social Responsibility- is the obligation of an organization to serve the interests of society in addition to its own interests.
Triple Bottom Line- evaluates organizational performance on economic, social, environmental...