Madison SmothermanLexie Rogers8/7/14Who Wants To Go Off-Road?
The purpose of this lab is to view speed and acceleration via use of a toy car.
1. Use a meter stick and tape to mark out 5 meters of the floor with 1 meter increments.
2. Time how long it takes the car to go one meter starting at zero using a stopwatch.
3. Repeat number 2 with the car traveling 2 meters, 3 meters, etc.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with another car, one that is fast and slow.
Car #1 Color: Orange Car #2 Color: Red
Average SpeedAverage Speed
1.8/5= .36m/s 1.62/5= .32m/s
1. This lab was a way to look at speed and acceleration using toy cars. We had to mark out a meter, 2 meters, etc. using duck tape. After taping out the needed measurements, we tested car #1 to see how long it would take for it to go a meter, 2, etc. using a stop watch. After testing car #1, we applied the same procedure for car #2. The speed of each car depended on how fast the car would go to see which one would make it to the destination first or fastest.
2. Speed- Distance/Time. Average Speed- Total distance and total time.
3. I expected for each car to go about the same speed, and the ended up having a difference in their overall average speed although it was not a huge difference. I assume this happened because both cars did not have a huge difference in speed.
4. Q: Compare your average speeds with that of the other groups. How do they compare? A: For the most part, our average speeds were pretty similar to those of other groups. However, some did have a slight or large difference from ours depending on how fast their car went, the friction of the floor, etc.
Q: Using averages, estimate how long it would take for the first car to travel 6.5 meters? A: By using the average speed of car #1, I believe it would take anywhere between 0.35-0.38 seconds for it too reach 6.5 meters.
Q: Using averages, estimate how long it would take for the second car to travel 6.5 meters?
A: By using the average speed of car #2, I believe it would take anywhere between 0.36-0.39 seconds for it to reach 6.5 meters.