1. a) What is a database?
A database is an organized collection of related data.
b) How does an RDBMS store data?
An RDBMS stores related data in tables.
2. What is one benefit of dividing data into tables?
Dividing data into tables eliminates unnecessary data duplication, or data redundancy.
3. a) What is a database schema?
A database schema is a description of the data and the organization of the data into tables in a relational database.
b) Explain the considerations for dividing data into related groups.
Considerations for dividing data into related groups includes ...view middle of the document...
7. a) What does the size of a field indicate?
The size of a field indicates the number of characters or the type of number it can store.
b) What field size is used when a field will store numbers with a decimal portion?
Single is used to store numbers with a decimal portion.
c) What field size is used when a field will store whole numbers?
Long Integer is used to store whole numbers.
8. a) What does the format of a field determine?
The format of a field determines how the data is displayed.
b) List four numeric field formats.
· General Number
c) List three date/time field formats.
d) Do text fields have a field format?
Text fields do not have a field format.
9. For each of the field names below, list the most appropriate data type (Text, Number, Date/Time, Currency, Memo, Yes/No, Hyperlink, and AutoNumber) Use each type only once:
a) Retail Price
b) Order Date
c) First Name
d) Product Description
e) E-Mail Address
f) Record ID
g) Delivery Time
h) Peanut Allergy
10. a) What is a record?
A record is a set of data for the fields in a table.
b) Can a table contain duplicate records? Explain.
No, because a table has a field that is designated the primary key. The primary key field must contain unique values.
c) What is used in a table to ensure that records are unique?
To ensure that no two records in a table are the same, one field in each table must be designated the primary key.
11. a) What must be done to designate a primary key?
Click anywhere in the primary key field and then click Design > Primary key.
b) What is the Required option used for?
The Required option is used to ensure that each record has a primary key entry.
c) List the steps required to make two fields the primary key of a table.
1. Click the gray box to the left of the first field.
2. Hold down the Ctrl key and then click the gray box to the left of the second field.
3. Click Design > Primary Key.
12. a) What is a form?
A form is a database object used for entering records into a table and for viewing existing records.