Chapter 9 New-Product Development and Product Life-Cycle Strategies
1) What are the two ways that a company can obtain new products?
A) line extension and brand management
B) internal development and brand management
C) new-product development and acquisition
D) service development and product extension
E) market mix modification and research and development
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 258
2) Product improvements, product modifications, and original products can all be classified as ________.
A) pioneer products
B) new products
C) product concepts
D) product ideas
E) test products
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 258
...view middle of the document...
A) idea generation
B) idea screening
C) concept development
D) concept testing
E) test marketing
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 259
7) Executives, manufacturing employees, and salespeople are all examples of ________.
A) external sources for new-product ideas
B) internal sources for new-product ideas
C) core members of innovation management systems
D) research and development team members
E) new-product committee members
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 260
8) Your company decides to use internal sources for developing new product ideas. Which of the following would NOT be consulted?
A) executives and professionals
B) company records and data
C) intrapreneurial programs
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 260
9) Which of the following is perhaps the most important external source of new-product ideas?
D) trade magazines, shows, and seminars
E) distributors and suppliers
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 261
10) Which of the following is NOT a recommended method for companies to tap into their customers as sources for new-product ideas?
A) analyzing customer complaints and questions
B) relying heavily on customers to know what types of technical products they need
C) working alongside customers to get ideas and suggestions
D) turning customers into cocreators
E) putting customer-created products on the market
Diff: 3 Page Ref: 261
11) Your firm asks you to consult external sources for new product ideas. All of the following are common external sources EXCEPT ________.
D) trade shows and magazines
E) the firm's executives
Diff: 1 Page Ref: 260-261
12) The purpose of idea generation is to create a ________ number of ideas. The purpose of succeeding stages is to ________ that number.
A) small number; reduce
B) small number; increase
C) large number; increase
D) large number; reduce
E) limited number; sustain
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 262
13) GrayBerry Gifts has just brainstormed a large number of ideas for adding new products and services after visiting several buying fairs. The owners will begin the first idea-reducing stage, called ________, to arrive at a realistic number to adopt.
A) business analysis
B) idea generation
C) concept testing
D) idea screening
E) concept development
Diff: 2 Page Ref: 262
14) Which of the following is most likely to be included in an executive's write up of a new-product idea to be presented to a new-product committee?
A) the proposed customer value proposition
B) the product image