Causes of WW1
CAUSES OF WW1
2. LONG TERM!
THE ALLIANCE SYSTEM:
* THE TRIPLE ENTENTE – Russia, France, Britain
* THE TRIPLE ALLIANCE- Austria-Hungry, Italy, Germany
3. THE ARMS RACE- MILITARISM
6. THE ASSASINATION OF ARCH DUKE FRANZ FERDINAND
The world at the beginning of the 20th Century:
* Influence the way you live: sex, nationality, social class, economic position, gov+location
* “membership” – certain class , reflect economic role + opportunities
* UPPER CLASS; family, own land of others, politics, provided officer class with nations military forces, ...view middle of the document...
* SOCIAL CHANGE
* 20TH century- women second class
* Benefits, wealth , position didn’t support them
* Few opportunities
FORMS OF GOV.
* Dynastic= inherited power. EMPEROR FRANZ JOESPH , AUSTRIA , TSAR NICHOLAS 2 – ROMONOV(autocrat)
* Britain- constitutional monarchy. Democracy.
MORE POWER FOR NATIONS, BY TAKING CONTROL OF OTHER NATIONS+RESOURCES.
NEW IMPERALISM: LATE 19 TO EARLY 20TH - AGGRESSIVE PUSUIT OF COLONIES, RIVARLY, DRIVEN IDEAS OF OWN, RACIAL, INTLLECTUAL SUPERIORTY.
NATURE OF COUNTRIES+ REASONS SOUGHT COLONIES:
1. Great power. 370 million ppl. (African continents, Canada, Australia)
2. Increase international market, investment, protection of existing trade.
1. 2ND greatest, 58 million( Africa , Indochina)
2. Restoring lost pride, franco-prussian war. New market, investment.
1. missed opportunity to take control of land overseas
2. OTTO VON BISMARCK – GERMAN CHANCELLOR UNTIL 1890. COMPETING WITH BRITIAN, GIVE POWER TO PRESSURE BRITIAN GIVING INTO SOME OF GERMANY’S FOREIGN POLICIES.
1. Est. expansion of Europe. Borders 2 countries, 50 million ppl.
1. Acquired empire through expansion of Europe, 1/6 earth's surface.
2. An economic, strategic power, territory in Iran, blackens.
3. Balkans = Mediterranean sea, 4 diverse raw materials
4. Persia= rich oil.
* UNITED STATES= fix problems 1890 depression
* JAPAN= gain access raw material own area. . Strength.
* Colonial peoples, cheap labour, pay tax to support the colonial masters.
BACKGROUD OF WW1 – 1890- 1914
CAUSES LONG TERM
* powerful nation states made in Europe from the French revolution
* End of Napoleonic war. SETTLEMENT OF CONGRESS VIENNA 1915 , principle of nationalism ignored to keep peace
* Germany – Italy, divided states. Strong nationalist movements led unification ITALY 1961 & GERMANY 1971
* Franco Prussian war (1870-71). France revenge for loss of Alsace-Lorraine to Germany.
* Problems Austria –hungry & Balkans, cause of nationalist groups
* Pan Slavism –(slaves) – of Serbia, Russia , support Slavic brothers , Austral-Hungry Pan Germanism
* Increase conflict Europe
* Manufacturing increase – GB,G,F
* Economic expansion – Africa, Asia, etc.
* 7 crises foreshadowing the war- North Africa, clash of GER, BOTH B&F
* Austria-hungry, Balkans nations (Balkans" covers not only those countries which lie within the boundaries of the Balkan Peninsula) and Russia were tempted by decaying Ottoman Empire.
* WW1 was caused in part by the two opposing alliances by BISMARKIAN DIPLOMCY after the Franco Prussian War.
* In order to isolate France: formed 3 emperors league in 1872- ALL ALLIANCE BETWEEN GERMANY andR+AS!
* TERRITORAL SETTLEMENT- CONGRESS OF...