(Prerequisite: To be taken as last or next to last course)
Examines the strategic management process and implementation of successful business strategies in the highly competitive and dynamic global environment. Analyzes the impact of technology, government policy, and world economic and political forces on strategy formulation and execution. This course is the capstone course for the MBA program. Analytic, integrative, and decision-making skills will be exercised through the use of case analysis and decision making that will involve the core business functions, leadership challenges, and global operations.
Recommend effective business strategies based on an analysis of domestic and global operating environments, market dynamics, and internal capabilities.
5. Analyze competitive positions including foreign market entry and the resulting impact on business strategy.
6. Analyze a plan to implement a firm’s strategy and manage the change from current operations.
7. Assess how ethics, corporate social responsibility, and environmental sustainability impact strategy.
8. Analyze strategies for exerting the internal leadership needed to drive the implementation of strategic initiatives and improve operating excellence.
9. Use technology and information resources to research issues in strategic management.
10. Write clearly and concisely about strategic management using proper writing mechanics.
WEEKLY COURSE SCHEDULE
The standard requirement for a 4.5 credit hour course is for students to spend 13.5 hours in weekly work. This includes preparation, activities, and evaluation regardless of delivery mode.
|Week |Preparation, Activities, and Evaluation |Points |
|1 |Preparation | |
| |Reading(s) | |
| |Chapter 1: Strategic Leadership: Managing the Strategy- Making Process for Competitive Advantage | |
| |Case 5: Staples | |
| |Scenario | |
| |Other preparation | |
| |Watch the video titled “SWOT Analysis: How to perform one for your organization” (5 min 22 s). | |
| |Video Source: virtualstrategist (2008, July 28). SWOT Analysis: How to perform one for your organization | |
| |[Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNXYI10Po6A. | |
| |This video can be viewed from within your online course shell. | |
| |Activities | |
| |Discussions | |
| |Evaluation ...