- 14 Million units were donated, 12.9 were not analogous and 1.1 mill were
- in 1995 3.2M units of blood into 1.5M patients - chronic illness (ex: anaemia)
- 8.1M units were put into 2.5M patients - acute blood loss
demand of human blood is often in shortage (in certain times)
Blood substitutes - used for an alternative to human blood
1997 - no approved blood substitute
Biopure has spent $200 M in the development of bovine-sourced substitute
Oxyglobin - animals, Hemopure - Humans
No revenue, enough capital to operate 2 more years
1998, Biopure was one of three legitimate contenders in the emerging field of “blood substitutes.”
Oxyglobin ...view middle of the document...
What are the biggest obstacles to success in the human market?
- Competitors taking part of the market
- Gaining FDA Approval (before competitors)
- Product shortcomings
- Perception of “cow blood”
-Short half-life (excreted from body in 2 to 7 days)
- Higher toxicity (safety only demonstrated up to levels of 5 to 10 units)
- No urgent need? (Human blood is safe and effective)
- No information about price sensitivity
- Wants to price much higher than human blood (125-225 for anonymous blood)
In the animal market?
- High price sensitivity
- Uncertainty of optimum distribution channels and associated costs
- Need? Vets avoid blood transfusions - only 2.5% of dogs that could have benfitted from transfusion received one
3. How might Oxyglobin be a threat to Hemopure?
- Creates unrealistic price expectation for Hemopure ($50 - 100 versus $600 - 800)
- If Oxyglobin is priced at $100 they can double the Hemopure at $200 because Oxyglobin takes twice the time to make - maybe they can tack on another $50
- Production at same facility would take away from Hemopure production capacity
(only one product can be made at one time)
- Mistakes could cause consequences for the launch of Hemopure
How might it be an asset?
- Oxyglobin would generate revenue to launch Hemopure
- Attractive market size (small), experience less visible
- Please stockholders wanting IPO
- Help generate...