Assignment 306 Understand health and safety in social care settings
Task A Presentation
You have been asked to contribute to an induction day for new staff. You are to prepare a presentation about Health and Safety. It must include the following:
Ai A list of the key legislation relating to health and safety in a social care setting.
* Health and Safety at work Act 1974
* Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulation 1999
* Health and Safety (First Aid) Regulation 1981 include amendment on 2009
* The Electricity at Work regulations 1989
* Manual Handling Operations Regulations 1992
* Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences ...view middle of the document...
Just to name a few, so to follow the guidelines set is important as it eradicates risks from the workplace and helps to maintain a safe working environment.
Aiii An explanation of how health and safety policies and procedures protect people who work in social care settings.
* Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 says that employers have to provide relevant training for staff in all areas of work and should maintain all equipment that is to be used within the care environment and this in turn minimises the risk of harm to the staff and service users.
* Individual Risk assessments protect people as they are put in place - Mrs Thomas for example requires support to transfer from wheelchair to dining chair - A risk assessment would have the method of transfer in place on risk assessment which would ensure that this is done correctly and safely - (Protecting Mrs Thomas and yourself) if relevant training and a risk assessment was not in place you would put her and yourself at risk of harm by not applying correct technique.
Aiv A comparison of the differences in the main health and safety responsibilities of each of the following:
a) Social care worker
* Takes care of their own health and safety as well as others.
* Co-operates with their employer by following set policies and procedures
* Uses personal protective equipment as necessary
* Should adhere to achieve training and must follow instruction.
* Must not tamper with or misuse anything provided for health and safety or welfare of the service user.
* Should provide safe and risk free working environment
* Provide equipment to safely carry out the job needed
* Put motions into place that ensure the safe handling and disposal of hazardous substances safely
* Provide information, instruction, training and supervision as necessary
* Must ensure that all equipment is safe to use and that procedures are put in place to work correctly.
c) Individuals using social care services and others in the setting, such as visitors, supporters, volunteers or contractors.
* Others should respect and follow the rules and regulations imposed by the home which follow guidelines set by the government.
* Follow the instruction and guidance provided for example – do not use the lift in the event of a fire, do not block fire exits...
* Must co-operate with management and social care workers, if they notice anything that may cause harm to themselves or others they must make it known.
Av An example of a situation where responsibility for health and safety lies with the individual receiving care.
* There may be an occasion where the service user might notice and If the individual does not report something that the social care worker is not aware of they do not report something that the worker is not aware of because for example if the client noticed the carpet in the home is dangerous they would also have a responsibility to...