ENGL227 Week 1 Assignment Scenario
You are an upper-level manager in a large metropolitan hotel. One of your assistant managers, Jeff Clarke, has left you a voicemail message requesting emergency leave for the upcoming holiday weekend.
Here's what the message stated: I'm calling to request emergency leave again for this weekend. I know I've had three emergency leaves in the last two months, but my grandma isn't feeling well again, and she really needs me to take care of her. I'll be in later tonight for my shift. Can you let me know then? Thanks.
You know from previous requests for time off that Jeff's grandmother is coping with a debilitating illness. Your other assistant manager, Nina Hernandez, has covered for Jeff three times in the last two months. She has been looking forward to having this weekend off, as she is going out of ...view middle of the document...
You could call him back on the phone to deny his request, but you're starting to think you may need a written record of some sort to document the problem in case Jeff's employment needs to be terminated. Human Resources at Corporate are always emphasizing the need for documentation.
1. Complete the Required Audience Profile (below) for Jeff, with the understanding that someone in Human Resources may be a secondary audience for this written response at a later date.
2. Select an appropriate choice of medium: electronic or print. (See Chapter 4 for guidance in selecting an appropriate medium.)
3. Write a message to Jeff using an appropriate media choice denying his request and explaining the reasons why. You don't want to fire Jeff, but you do want to be clear that you are denying the request. You really need his help this weekend.
Submit the audience profile AND the written message to Jeff to the Week 1 Dropbox. Successful assignments will meet the criteria outlined in the grading rubric included in the Doc Sharing area.
Required Audience Profile
This audience profile is required as part of the week one assignment. Answer the questions below to create a thorough profile for your primary audience, Jeff Clarke, and your secondary audience, Human Resources.
1. Is my primary audience external or internal?
2. What are some key demographics about my audience, such as age, gender, family situation, etc.?
3. How much does my audience know about the topic?
4. How much formality does my audience prefer?
5. How do I expect my audience to react to this message?
6. What are my audience’s values in relation to this message? What do they care about most?
7. What do I want my audience to think, do, feel, or believe after reading my message?
8. Are there any benefits for my audience that is related to this message?
9. What information do I need to include for the secondary audience?
10. Which medium is most appropriate for this message and this audience? Why?