GET TO THE ROOTS OF THE PROBLEM
Problem:- Increase in the crime rate in Chandigarh.
Few weeks ago a leading weekly national magazine has ranked Chandigarh at first place among union territories in law and order situation but the actual picture is a bit different. According to the data received from the website of Chandigarh Police following is the crime statistics between 01.01.2012 to 31.12.2012:-
1) MURDER (Sec.302 IPC) 21
2) ATTEMPT TO COMMIT MURDER (Sec. 307 IPC) 44
3) CULPABLE HOMICIDE NOT ...view middle of the document...
On the contrary Chandigarh Police have informed us that the Citizens have the right under which a witness can leave the situation after informing the Police about the incident and the Police promises not to call them back.
3) Apart from the Chandigarh Police, every citizen is also responsible for his own and his family's safety and security. In order to ensure that no criminal or anti-social element is able to insidiously enter into the citizen's home or neighborhood, all servants/helpers/tenants/paying guests, etc. must be subjected to police verification. Most of the citizens avoid this activity because they do not want to have visits in the police station. Most of the citizens do not know this verification is mandatory as per the orders issued u/s 144 Cr.P.C. Any violation of these orders i.e. non registration of servants/helpers/tenants/paying guests, etc. with the area station house officer (SHO) is a punishable offence u/s 188 IPC, for which a FIR is also registered against the landlord/employer.
4) Lack of security services like watchman, dogs, video camera, fences employed by the citizens in homes in the areas which are more vulnerable to crime.
5) The area around sector 15,11,10 in Chandigarh has max number of PG .People who are coming from other cities keep on changing their flats due to this police is unable to keep records of them and it has been seen that most of the chain snatchers, crimes involve these youngsters who are living in PG.