Why did Britain and France adopt the appeasement policy betwen 1933 t0 1939?
To appease means to avoid displeasing or annoying some one by giving or doing what that person wants. It could be to give or to do what a given country wants in order to avoid war.
Between 1933 and 1938 Britain and France adopted a cautious policy towards Germany. They showed their reluctance to take decisive action to prevent or halt German aggressive and expansionist policies.
Neville Chamberlain, the British Prime minister, in the period 1937 – 1940 is the man most associated with this policy although it was followed by Britain almost from the time Hitler came to power in 1933. He believed that
the ...view middle of the document...
He also believed that after putting right the wrongs of the Treaty of Versailles, Hitler will be satisfied and Germany would become a peaceful nation again.
• France was facing internal political problems during the 1930s. She was not in position to take on Germany without Britain’s support. As a result, France tended to follow Britain in matters of foreign policy during this period.
• Hitler was seen as a buffer against communism. Britain was much more concerned about the threat of communism than Hitler’s policies. Britain would not mind appeasing Hitler as long as he continues to stand against communism.
• Britain and France were not sure about US’s support in case of war with Germany. The USA was still inclined to her policy of international isolation. US leaders were determined not to drag their country into another war.
• Chamberlain adopted a cautious policy towards Germany because an aggressive policy could cause a split in the British Empire. It was not certain whether or not the British Empire and the Common Wealth states would support a war against Germany. Indeed, in September 1938, South Africa and Australia declared that they would not.
• Britain was concerned about the rise of Japan as an imperial rival in the Far East. It threatened British interests in Asia. In fact a future war with Japan was a high possibility....