THIS IS A QUICK GUIDE TO THE APA REFERENCING STYLE (6TH EDITION) The American Psychological Association reference style uses the Author-Date format. Refer to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.) for more information. Check the Library Catalogue for call number and location(s). When quoting directly or indirectly from a source, the source must be acknowledged in the text by author name and year of publication. If quoting directly, a location reference such as page number(s) or paragraph number is also required. IN-TEXT Direct quotation – use quotation marks around the quote and include page numbers Samovar and Porter (1997) point ...view middle of the document...
-L., Bochner, S., & Duchesne, S. (2006). Educational psychology for (Krause, Bochner, & Duchesne, learning and teaching (2nd ed.). South Melbourne, Vic., Australia: Thomson. 2006) N.B. Use & between authors’ names, except when paraphrasing in text. When a work then has three, four or five authors, cite all authors the first time, and in subsequent citations (Krause et al., 2006)
include only the first author followed by et al.
3. Book or report by a corporate author e.g. organisation, association, government department University of Waikato. (1967). First hall of residence (Information series No. 3). (University of Waikato, 1967) Some group authors may be Hamilton, New Zealand: Author.
N.B. When the author and the publisher are the same, use Author in the publisher field. abbreviated in subsequent citations if they are readily recognisable.
4. Book chapter in edited book Helber, L. E. (1995). Redeveloping mature resorts for new markets. In M. V. Conlin & T. Baum (Eds.), Island tourism: Management principles and practice (pp. 105-113). Chichester, England: John Wiley.
N.B. Include the page numbers of the chapter after the book title.
(Helber, 1995) or
Helber (1995) compares luxury resorts ... 5. Conference paper online - (see Library APA referencing webpage for alternative formats) Bochner, S. (1996, November). Mentoring in higher education: Issues to be (Bochner, 1996) or addressed in developing a mentoring program. Paper presented at the According to Bochner (1996) ... Australian Association for Research in Education Conference, Singapore. Retrieved from http://www.aare.edu.au/96pap/bochs96018.txt
6. Course handout/Lecture notes Salter, G. (2007). Lecture 3: SPLS205-07A [PowerPoint slides]. Hamilton, New Zealand: University of Waikato.
N.B. Put format in square brackets - e.g. [PowerPoint slides] [Lecture notes]
7. Film – (see Library APA referencing webpage for music and other media) Zhang, Y. (Producer/Director). (2000). Not one less [Motion picture]. China: Columbia Pictures.
N.B. For films, DVDs or videorecordings use [Motion picture] in square brackets. Give the country of origin and the name of the motion picture studio.
8. Journal article – academic/scholarly (electronic version) with DOI (see also Library APA referencing webpage) Hohepa, M., Schofield, G., & Kolt, G. S. (2006). Physical activity: What do high (Hohepa, Schofield, & Kolt, school students think? Journal of Adolescent Health, 39(3), 328-336. 2006) doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2005.12.024 then subsequently, if 3-5 authors N.B. A capital letter is used for key words in the journal title. The journal title and (Hohepa et al., 2006)
volume number are italicised, followed by the issue number in brackets (not italicised).
9. Journal article – academic/scholarly (electronic version) with no DOI Harrison, B., & Papa, R. (2005). The development of an indigenous knowledge program in a New Zealand Maori-language immersion...