World History: Ancient Greece Resumes
* Origin: Several myths explain their origin:
* Achilles organized them as part of the funeral of his friend, Patroclus.
* Zeus made them to celebrate his victory in a fight he gad with Cronous.
* Location: The Olympics took place in Olympia
* The Athlets:
* Free born Greeks
* Separated in divisions (Boys and Men)
* Women weren’t allowed in the games
* They trained for 10 months
* They go to the Zeus Temple to swear they had trained
* Invitation to the parties
* Wreath of leaves
* A statue of himself in Olympia
* The ...view middle of the document...
* Land divided equally between citizens and their families.
* Helots worked in equals’ land.
* Equals had the mayor power in Sparta
* Descended from the invaders.
* Controlled city-state
* Paid taxes.
* Served in the army.
* No political power.
* Some farmed.
* Some lived in towns.
* Worked in trade or industry.
* Some became rich.
* Helots outnumbered Spartans.
* Spartans controlled them.
* Spartan did a military service to be stronger than helots.
* Helots hated Spartans.
* Aloud to do sports.
* Could interact with men or friends of their husbands.
* Had to be strong and healthy.
* Received strict physical training.
* Studied music in order to learn discipline and coordination.
* Government in Sparta:
* Rules by 2 kings: military and life in society
* Council of Elders
* Five Ephors: men incharge of controlling the kings
* Assembly of adult male citizens (equals)
* Peloponnesian War
* Military conflict between Sparta and Athens
* The war started in 431BC
* It started because they had different kinds of government
* To gain the control of the war between Greece and the Persians
* To had different alliances: War: Persians vs. Greece (Athens vs. Sparta)
* It finished at 404 BC because Athens surrended to the Spartans.
* Geography: Large mainland of Greece
* Olive oil
* They traveled by sea
* Family life:
* Athenians considered marriage a important institution.
* Girls married at 13 or14.
* Athenian women were inferior to men.
* Purpose: bearing and rearing of children
* Women died: poor medical knowledge.
* Girls married at the age of 13 aprox.
* They didn’t choose who to marry with.
* Divided in 3
* Free Men or Citizens
* Education:political and social ends of each polis.
* Children stayed at home 6 years old.
* 18 years: youths.
* 21: citizens with rights.
* Arcaid Period: independent states: Polis
* Men and women : diferent life.
* Men: public life of the city.
* Women: private life as wifes and mothers.
* Centred on the home.
* most famous is the Parthenon on the Acropolis
* has Roman, Byzantine and Ottoman monuments
* show the city’s long story through the centuries
* Classified as some of the finest in the world.
* political and religional purposes