STUDY GUIDE: ANCIENT EGYPT
People to know
2) Isis: Wife of Osiris and mother goddess of Egypt. She moved heaven and earth to help her husband. She found the pieces of Osiris and brought her husband back to life. Isis represented love, caring, and protection.
3) Anubis: God of the embalmers (animal= jackal)
4) Hatshepsut-First female pharaoh who ruled Egypt peacefully. She dressed as a king, she even wore a false beard that was a symbol of the pharaoh’s power. She took over because her husband died and son was too young to rule. She carried out of all the rituals expected of a king to gain the people’s respect. She built Egypt’s wealth and power through ...view middle of the document...
He was also a great builder during his reign and built more monuments than any other pharaoh.
1) Papyrus- a material similar to paper that they used to write on with red and black ink. Made out of papyrus reed that grew along Nile. They could last for a very long time and many documents were written- calendars, stories, poems, and prayers.
2) Cataract- groups of rocky rapids
4) Pharaoh- king of Egypt
5) Mummy- a body that has been preserved so it will not decompose
6) Hieroglyphics- drawing or symbol that represents a word or a sound. Scribes or officials were able to write because not a lot of people were about to write.
Geography: STUDY MAP ON R 24!
1) The gifts of the Nile-
b. rich soil for farming
e. used in religious ceremonies
f. protection from foreign invaders
2) Responsibilities of the pharaoh-
g. were kings, priests and gods
h. looked like gods to be worshipped and performed rituals (for irrigation)
i. charge of building projects- ie. order building permits
j. make sure land produces well
k. owned all land- collects taxes
l. in charge of trade
m. his word was law
3) Reasons for mummification- body is need for the afterlife: Egyptians believed that they needed to preserve their body to have an afterlife. The believed that, after death, their spirit would need to recognize their preserved body and use it as a home. Poor people were buried in the desert and wealthy Egyptians had their bodies mummified. Mummy- body preserved by a special process.
4) The impact of geography on everyday life- most Egyptians...