AMBITION vs. ASPIRATION
It is said that human values do not change. But, if mutability were to be the law of life, when human thinking is at variance, values which are at cognitive level could transform. It is to be understood that in this eternal creation, uni-polarity is non-existent. Thus, ‘variance’ is in consonance with this universal law. Hence, Ambition & Aspiration, even if were to be seen as ‘diametrically opposite manifestations’, are part of us.
Ambivalent thought, prior to the debate, is that both do define ‘the human spirit’. It is the context that’s the differentiator. Perhaps at the end, a bias towards one of these ‘manifestations’ might emerge from ...view middle of the document...
* Today’s young generation in the sub-continent living separately in their own countries live through the situations of ‘aspiration’ yet again oblivious of the mutation which once had its roots in ‘ambition’.
Conclusions from the afore said illustration are-
* Decades of inspirational movement (aspiration that prevailed over larger span of time)
* Followed by a year of intense agony of separation (ambition prevailed over a lesser span of time)
* Together resulted in creation of two countries i.e. Ind-Pak (equilibrium)
* For the current generation now, it is freedom in their own countries but for the freedom fighters then, it was a split (relativity).
With the passage of time, any accomplishment measured against unit time has become the yard stick for measure of success. Achievements at doubled up speed ‘with no time to look and stare’ (Alfred Lord Tennyson), appear more ritualistic and materialistic. Impatience is becoming more predominant in all walks of life. With improved technology the distances in fact are increasing. The human is living through a folly that machine can replace him & his soul. We wake up to a pre-set alarm instead of the nature which in the yore was with the chirping of birds. Then through the rest of the day, the machines take over. The human- to-human relation is becoming more mechanical and the interface of life with machines becoming the order of the day. Things done quick and fast are ambitious, they are things done against time rather than at leisure and for oneself. Aspirations on the other hand are accomplishments that are done for self and others. ‘To write’ is an aspiration and ‘to be famous as a writer’ is an ambition. Aspirations are due to cherishment that comes from within and are like natural springs whereas ambitions are out of influences which are due to external factors and are like flooding waters.
In that inspiring story, Spartacus became a leader not out of ambition, but...