After watching the online archive seminar, I have noticed there are many elements students need to consider in order to succeed in this class and in others. First students need to understand the online learning, how it works.
Understanding the online learning:
• The opportunity to learn and do the course on a flexible schedule, at any time during the week.
• The opportunity to meet and interact (through discussion posts) with students and professors from all over the world, with different backgrounds and different ways of thinking.
• Online learning is similar to learning on campus with the challenges; the difference is it requires proper time management, self-discipline and motivation.
• Prof. St. John is available for support through email and AIM, to provide feedback through assignments and personal dilemmas.
...view middle of the document...
Be polite while responding to other classmates; avoid using capital letters while posting it shows that you are yelling.
4. Instructor’s emails: make sure you read the instructor’s email, also make sure to read the announcement section of each unit.
5. Project Criteria: Read carefully to have a clear understanding of what is required to be included in the assignments.
6. Read the instructor’s comments: These feedbacks and comments will help to avoid future mistakes.
7. Turn in the projects on time: Being punctual with turning any project or assignment, although the professor can offer help or assistance to re-work an assignment it is still important to be punctual for an ultimate grade.
8. Organize your time: Time management and organization are keys by establishing a routine for class work.
9. Attend Seminars: It helps to advance in the course, to have the opportunity to ask questions and to be apart of the classroom experience and the professor’s lecture. If a student cannot attend, there is option 2, which is answering some questions about the seminar.
10. Visit the instructor: set up an appointment with the instructor to talk through AIM or send emails to clarify any questions.
It is very important to think why writing matters. What do we try to accomplish by writing? In our day and age, we find that writing includes research, emails, blogs, text…etc we communicate through writing everyday.
There are many elements to consider while writing:
• Audience: knowing your audience changes the language.
• Purpose: reason for writing complaints, catching up with friends, formal writing at work
• Context: Considering where this paper or document will be presented, different ways of the writing styles
• Writer’s goal: what is the outcome from this writing?