Unit Six Written Assignment
MT435 Operations Management
March 26, 2012
Albatross Anchor is a small family owned business that began in 1976 with few family members. The company has grown tremendously over the years causing issues with production and the administrative area is also affected. The plant is technology deprived, dirty, disorganized, and not meeting US safety and environmental standards. As the company grew more processes were added and with the limited space, production was not running smoothly. When Albatross Anchor first opened its doors their expertise was in the manufacturing of bell/mushroom anchors. In 1989, in ...view middle of the document...
Improving technology will increase efficiency and effectiveness throughout the plant. Looking at the long term operational changes a five year plan to address issues should be sufficient.
(02) The issue of sharing manufacturing equipment every time each anchor type is changed for processing; the time to switch over from one manufacturing process to another is 36 hours. New equipment should be purchased and better processes implemented, this will allow the company to process goods or provide services that involve a multiple processing requirements. Once the 36 hour switch is eliminated the results should show increased efficiency and effectiveness throughout the plant.
(03) The separation of the manufacturing areas for the snag hook anchor and the bell anchors will increase production and make the process more streamline. This will tie the technology portion as well as the new equipment portion altogether to create two separate manufacturing areas.
Short-Term Operational Changes
(01) Staying in compliance and enforcing US Safety and environment standards is a short-term and long-term change. This is a requirement that needs to be monitored continuously throughout the operation of the plant as long as it is operating and running. If the plant continues to not follow these safety standards it is in danger of possibly being closed down and/or have large amounts of fines could be required to keep the plant running. It is imperative that Albatross Anchor update the environmental standards of the plant to bring them up to code. An immediate investment in the area will definitely save money in the future and possibly save the plant from being shut down for continued violations.
(02) The administrative offices are said to be in the front of the building and the plant is located directly behind the offices. The issues of the offices are said to be someone what shabby, disorganized, and run inefficiently. The administrative offices needs to be cleaned up and processes need to be put into place so this area can run more efficiently. Making changes to this area will eliminate interruptions and increase productivity and make room for better bookkeeping.
(03) Albatross Anchor shipping and receiving departments should not have materials coming in and going out at the same time. There does not appear to be much flexibility in the way that the company process, fill, and ship orders. Setting specific shipping and receiving schedules for international shipping and incoming raw materials will eliminate mistakes and increase efficiency, set predetermined days to ship internationally and to receive incoming raw materials or stagger delivery of the goods.
From the list of ten operational issues in the Unit 6 assignment instructions select four operational issues. For each of the four operational issues explain in detail that operational issue will help Albatross Anchor improve; 1) job retention, 2) employee morale, and 3) employee...