1. Cricket is religion in India and none of sports is as famous as cricket in India. Other sports like hockey should be encouraged. If we change national game than it may further impact performance of hockey players.
2. No today we change national game, tomorrow national anthem, then pledge and it will go on this is not the point.
3. I don’t think we should change national game just because we lost some matches or not many know names of hockey players.
4. Just because present hockey team is not performing like w hat it used to, we should not conclude that their days are gone , instead government should pay attention and provide them proper facilities to regain their position
5. Games are for fun and I think hockey is also a lot of fun, as is cricket.
6. Game doesn’t bring sensation. Media and people make the game ...view middle of the document...
9. Cricket is worshiped in India, more than any other game. That doesnt mean that other games should stop existing!
10. Cricket is popular because Indian Team is among the best in the world. If our hockey team starts to match global standards, people would automatically start following the game.
11. Everyone know that our past hockey team was a force to reckon with. India has won Olympic golds in hockey and producedarguably the best hockey player the world has ever seen - Major Dhyanchand. India still holds the record for being the onlyteam to have won 8 Olympic Gold medals with 6 in a row!
12. If hockey begins to get the encouragement from government and proper facilities are setup, players would themselves feel motivated to win. And once they start winning, the money would automatically start flowing in.
13. Indian hockey is not popular among the masses because of the media. While cricket has always got the preferential treatment of first page coverage, hockey always used to get the last one. But this is changing of late. Media recently has covered major players like Saina Nehwal in Badminton, Rohan Boppana, Leander Pace in Tennis extensively. But for media attention, our hockey team need to win more matches.
14. Instead of changing the national game, India should work to make it more popular. One step in this regard could be to take aid from BCCI. With huge coffers of money, BC C I has the capacity to help the Hockey Federation and make the sport popular in India.
15. India Pakistan encounters are still followed with great enthusiasm in India. We surely have the talent, we just dont have player motivation. And so media and general public have to start doing their bit. Like other countries Indian media needs to give equal coverage to all sports alike.
16. Money is a big factor in any sport. All our cricketers are millionaires. If players are paid well, they would perform better. Big Business houses (like Sahara did) need to step in and support the sport.