* Establish planning (Central Planning)
* Annual planning, similar to soviet style
* Went back to recognising hierarchy and experts (Chinese)
* Russians began to fear China, they armed the Chinese border
* Pay differentials, if you do more skilled work you get paid more
* By 1965 they’ve doubled their 1957 output
* Introducing elements of capitalism and its working
- Ideology takes second place to pragmatism
- Mao is being ignored
- They bring back many of the people in labour camps people Mao had purged in the past
- Mao tries to get power back, power struggle and it’s going to bring negative impacts
Key dates: 1976 Mao dies 1966-1976:
- Cultural Revolution- intensifies in the beginning
- In the mid 60’s the pragmatic group of the party led China
- Trying to create a reasonable standard of living with economic stability
- Still working on national unity
- Making ...view middle of the document...
– Hereditary elite
* Mao’ s utopian vision of China
The other reason is that Mao wants the power back.
* Mao has the army support that is his power base PLA
* Moise p. 179 quotes: “ The 10 year catastrophe” – CCP, maybe biased exaggeration, as they don’t want Mao to succeed. However it could also mean it was an even bigger problem as the CCP imposed this.
* Blame catastrophe to Mao
-After Mao sees his lost a huge amount of power in the country, he comeback by introducing a policy to rip out the bourgeois influence in university literature.
-Mao saw students liked this; therefore he allowed a number of students to become red guards- they attacked bourgeois influences
- Mao attacked the 4 olds:
1) Old ideas
2) Old customs
3) Old cultures
4) Old habits
-There is increasing violence, beatings, parading, humiliations and many died. They are vicious.
-Its starts with education but then spread, e.g. banks.
-In September 1966 rail guards are given free travel, to spread the anti bourgeois ideas.
-Mass rallies in Beijing, Mao becomes radical.
Famous slogan “ to rebel is justified”.
* There is now a cult of Mao around China
* In 1967 Mao encourages red guards to attack party members. It’s the first time party has attacked himself. Imprisoned, attacked…
* China fragments into: Army, Pragmatist and then Cultural Revolution group led by Madam Mao.
* Complete disaster red guards began to attack each other.
* By 1968 Mao decides its time to calm things down
* From 1968 to Mao’s death the army controls China
* Red guards are exiled to countryside
* 1969 Mao in control again- army is instrument of power
* China’s lost intellectual elite
* Many schools don’t opened until 1972- poor academic level
* Huge amount of corruption in government, ironic because party become even more privileged.
Lin Biao- he had been head of the army, key element. Mao began to think Lin Biao wanted to become number 1.
Lin realizes Mao is side lining him and his allies. He decides to flee from China and went to Hong Kong. When they were about to flee, Lin Biao’s daughter who had been a Red Guard, still believed in Mao and betrayed before they got to the plane.