Notes on Advertising:
* Definitions of Advertising
* Features of Advertising
* Objectives of Advertising
* Importance of Advertising
* Active Participant in advertising
* Role of advertising Marketing Mix
* Role of advertising in Society
The word advertising comes form the latin word "advertere meaning” to turn the minds of towards". Some of the definitions given by various authors are: According to William J. Stanton, "Advertising consists of all the activities involved in presenting to an audience a non-personal sponsor-identified, paid-for message about a product or ...view middle of the document...
* Features of Advertising:
1. Communication : Advertising is means of mass communication reaching the masses. It is a non-personal communication because it is addressed to masses.
2. Information : Advertising informs the buyers about the benefits they would get when they purchase a particular product. However, the information given should be complete and true.
3. Persuasion : The advertiser expects to create a favourable attitude which will lead to favourable actions. Any advertising process attempts at converting the prospects into customers. It is thus an indirect salesmanship and essentially a persuasion technique.
4. Profit Maximisation : True advertising does not attempt at maximising profits by increasing the cost but by promoting the sales. This way It won‟t lead to increase the price of the product. Thus, it has a higher sales approach rather than the higher-cost approach.
5. Non-Personal Presentation : Salesmanship is personal selling whereas advertising is non-personal in character. Advertising is not meant for anyone individual but for all. There is absence of personal appeal in advertising.
6. Identified Sponsor : A sponsor may be an individual or a firm who pays for the advertisement. The name of reputed company may increase sale or products. The product gets good market because of its identity with the reputed corporate body.
7. Consumer Choice : Advertising facilitates consumer choice. It enables consumers to purchase goods as per their budget requirement and choice. Right choice makes consumer happy and satisfied.
8. Art, Science and Profession : Advertising is an art because it represents a field of creativity. Advertising is a science because it has a body of organised knowledge. Advertising is profession is now treated as a profession with its professional bodies and code of conduct for members.
9. Element of Marking Mix : Advertising is an important element of promotion mix. Advertising has proved to be of great utility to sell goods and services. Large manufactures spend crores of rupees on advertising.
10. Element of Creativity : A good advertising campaign involves lot of creativity and imagination. When the message of the advertiser matches the expectations of consumers, such creativity makes way for successful campaign.
* OBJECTIVES OF ADVERTISING:
The fundamental purpose of advertising is to sell something – a product, a service or an idea. In addition to this general objective, advertising is also used by the modern business enterprises for certain specific objectives which are listed below :
1. To introduce a new product by creating interest for it among the prospective customers.
2. To support personal selling programme. Advertising maybe used to open customers' doors for salesman.
3. To reach people inaccessible to salesman.
4. To enter a new market or attract a new group of customers.
5. To light competition in the market and to increase the sales as
seen in the fierce competition...