ï»¿INTERMEDIATE CHRM/CHRD ASSESSMENT
Business issues and the Contexts of Human Resources (5BIC)
5BIC I02001 V20 - Core Unit Assessments - Version 3 Sept 2012
LO3: Understand the role of HR in the managing of contemporary business issues and external contexts.
3.1 Analyse the forces shaping the HR agenda.
3.2 Explain how HR contributes to organisational effectiveness.
3.3 Examine HRâ€™s roles and functions in management structures.
3.4 Examine HRâ€™s contribution to business ethics and accountability.
LO4: Understand how organisational and HR strategies and practices are shaped and developed.
4.1 ...view middle of the document...
4. Understand how organisational and HR strategies and practices are shaped and developed.
5. Know how to identify and respond to short-term changes in the business and external contexts.
You have been commissioned by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of your organisation (or one with which you are familiar) to examine and report on the role of the HR function in managing the organisation and to demonstrate how the organisational and HR strategies are shaped and developed within it.
Your report is expected to cover the following issues:
1. an identification and analysis of the major forces shaping the HR agenda within the organisation.
2. an examination of HRâ€™s roles within the organisation and the extent to which HR contributes to sound business ethics, effective accountability and organisational effectiveness.
3. a review of HRâ€™s contribution to the design and implementation of the organisationâ€™s business and HR strategies, describing the techniques and tools used to analyse the business environment and the sources of business data used for planning purposes.
4. a commentary on the extent to which there is vertical and horizontal integration of strategies within the organisation.
5. an identification of HRâ€™s role in business planning and how agreed strategies, policies and plans can be actioned within the organisation including the provision of costs where appropriate.
Real examples from experience or research should be introduced into the report to provide context and illustrate the points being made.
3.2, 3.3, 3.4
4.1, 4.2, 5.2
Evidence to be produced/required
A written, evidenced based report of approximately 3000 words in length, together with a list of cited references.
Guidance for 5BIC (LO 3, 4 & 5)
To achieve a pass, candidates should produce work equating to approximately 3000 words, which reflects the guidance given below.
Candidates should relate the report to academic concepts and theories and professional practice to the way organisations operate, in a critical and informed way, and with reference to key texts, articles and other publications and by using organisational examples for illustration. All sources should be supported by citations presented in the format that the centre determines.
Candidates should identify and analyse the forces which shape the contemporary HR agenda, relating this to the organisation. Answers...