Walter Elias and Roy Disney began the “Walt Disney” Company in 1922. The Walt Disney Company is a US based entertainment company that was founded in Los Angeles, California and its headquarters is located in Burbank, California.
Disney was built thanks to the animation features and motion picture from Walt Disney Studios. The motion picture and films brought characters such as Mickey Mouse and Snow White and the seven dwarfs to life. These are the world’s first animated features that helped Disney become recognized in the family entertainment industry and gain brand recognition worldwide.
Furthermore, The Walt Disney Company operates in five segments:
1) Media networks- ...view middle of the document...
they also sell furniture, clothing, food with the animated characters and there is more to come.
5) Interactive media- The Disney Interactive Media Group creates and delivers Disney-branded entertainment and lifestyle content across interactive media platforms. With the company’s media group, Disney sells and produces online products through their websites which offer video games, DVD’S and more.
Furthermore, by operating in 5 segments you can see how the company promotes both a growth strategy meaning they acquire other companies and an international growth by expanding internationally and entering other markets. Also, they use a differentiate strategy meaning they offer products and services with a superior quality and experience to the consumers. (corporate.disney.go.com)
1. Robert A. Iger -Executive Board, President and CEO since 2005.
2. John E. Pepper- Chairman, Non executive Board. Since 2007.
3. There are 12 directors
4. 9 members in senior management Positions.
Major Products & Services-
1. Products- TV programs, books, magazines, video games, motion pictures.
2. Character Based merchandise- apparel, accessories, footwear, home décor, cosmetics, electronics.
3. Services- TV Networks, TV stations, Radio Networks, Radio Stations, Resorts, Vacation club, Cruise line, theme parks.
4. Brands- Disney, ABC, ESPN.
The company’s mission statement is –“To be one of the world's leading producers and providers of entertainment and information. Using our portfolio of brands to differentiate our content, services and consumer products, we seek to develop the most creative, innovative and profitable entertainment experiences and related products in the world “(http://www.corporate. disney.go.com/careers/who.html).
The company’s vision- to make people happy by providing them a supreme entertainment experience.
1. Diversification of their products and services- The Disney Company operates in 5 business segments which offer a variety of movies, merchandise, resorts, and theme parks such as Disneyland, Disneyworld, Euro Disney, and Tokyo Disneyland, two Disney Cruise line ships, and Cable properties such as Disney channel, ESPN, ABC network .
2. Well known characters, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Alice in the wonderland etc.
3. Strong brand name that attracts consumers.
4. Ongoing innovative and creative ideas- Disney channel, new theme park attractions.
5. Global expansion- France, Tokyo, Latin America.
World’s largest media and Entertainment Company- ranked number 57 in the Forbes 500 largest corporations.
1. Weak performance of Studio entertainment segment by experiencing a declining revenue growth through the years 2007-2010.
The company recorded a decline of 16. 5%. Furthermore, the company’s operating profit has declined from 15.2 % 2007 to 2.6% in 2010.
2. Little presence in Asian...