* 1920's Dresses were lighter (due to less material and new synthetic fabrics) and brighter and shorter than ever before. Fashion designers played with fabric colors, textures and patterns to create totally new styles of dress. Evening dresses, coats and jackets were often trimmed with fur. Hemlines rose for most of the decade but dropped slightly toward the end.
* Shoes and stockings assumed a greater prominence now that they were more visible. Silk stockings in all the colors of the rainbow, often with patterns, were designed to match the coordinated outfits
* It didn't matter if there wasn't a department store in your town or city where you could shop for clothes or accessories as ...view middle of the document...
* Platinum was the new luxury metal used with stones like coral, jade, aquamarine, citrin, onyx and opal.
* designers were Coco Chanel and Elsa Schiaparelli
* The 1920s is the decade in which fashion entered the modern era. Men also abandoned highly formal daily attire and even began to wear athletic clothing for the first time. The suits men wear today are still based, for the most part, on those worn in the late 1920s.
* Like women, men embraced clothing styles that enhanced or increased their youthful appearance. Sports stars such as golfer Bobby Jones and tennis player Bill Tilden became fashion trendsetters whom their fans tried to emulate. Well-dressed young men might wear golfing knickers and a sweater or loose, white flannel trousers and V-necked sweater vests over a collared shirt, whether or not they actually played golf or tennis
* Circa 1920
* Women participate in sports, prompting new styles, including the "flapper"
* Early 20s
Madeleine Vionnet creates flowing, feminine clothes, including the chiffon handkerchief dress; creates cowl neck, halter top; sets trends in 1930s
* Mid 20s
Popularity of rayon causes decline in use of cotton
Knee-length hemlines mark new high
* Late 20s
Elsa Schiaparelli opens Paris boutique; pioneers use of zippers, shoulder pads, unusual buttons; favors bright colors, including "shocking pink"
* During the War, women entered the workforce to fill jobs left open by soldiers. After the war women continued to work outside of the home.
* Women’s fashion altered to suit the workforce, constrictive undergarments such as whalebone corsets were abandoned to allow for an ease of movement
* Also with the lack of men due to the war and its aftermath, women began wearing more alluring clothing to attract a husband.
* More woman began buying their clothing as opposed to making them themselves.
* The Economic prosperity of the Roaring Twenties allowed more women access to luxurious clothing.
* The ratification of the 19th Amendment in...