THE NASA CANADIANS
The NASA Canadians
KEY (to information provided by Rod Rose and Owen Maynard)
• ALLM: 1966 MSC Apollo Lunar Landing Mission Symposium.
• E&D: Engineering and Development Directorate (under Max Faget).
• FCOD: Flight Crew Operations Directorate (under Deke Slayton).
• FOD: Flight Operations Directorate (under Chris Kraft).
• LRL: Lunar Receiving Labratory
• PMO: Program Management Office (for Apollo, under Bob Piland, Charlie Frick, Joe Shea, George Low, Jim McDivitt).
• STG: Space Task Group
• MSC: Manned Space Center (later Johnson Space Center in Houston).
• MSFC: Marshall Space .Flight Center (Huntsville, Alabama).
*By May most of the 25 AVRO engineers were intensely involved in Project Mercury, most of them in middle-management technical positions, and a few such as Chamberlin and Rod Rose soon in senior level positions. It was, Rose recalled. an instant meshing marred perhaps only by the fact that his immediate supervisor, Jerry Hammack, spoke "Georgia" and constantly chided Rose about his inability to speak "good English." By the end of 1960, six additional former AVRO employees joined the NASA contingent, a few of whom went directly to the Goddard Space Flight Center and to NASA Headquarters. About half of the 31 employees from Canada were born in Canada, half were from England, and one (Tec Roberts) came from Wales. The AVRO/NASA roster included:
*From 'Suddenly Tomorrow Came' NASA..
• Peter J. Armitage: born 5/3/29 in Yorkshire, England; FOD (landing and recovery), Right Sciences, LRL
• Morris V. Jenkins: born 3/5/23 in Southampton. England; FOD (mission planning and analysis), ALLM (presenter).
• Norman B. Farmer: born 16/12/27 in London, England; E&D.
• Jack N. Cohen: FOD.
• John D. Hodge:. born 10/2/29 in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex, England; FOD (flight control).
• George A. Watts: born 3/9/28 in Trail, British Columbia; E&D (loads and structures).
• David N. Brown: born 1/9/27 in South Croyden. Surrey, England; E&D.
• Leonard E. Packham: born 24/1/22 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; FOD, E&D.
• Bryan R. Erb: born 12/4/31 in Calgary, Alberta; E&D, Life Sciences, LRL.
• Rodney G. Rose: born lO/8/27 in Huntington Hunts. England; E&D (through Little Joe for Mercury), PMO (Gemini).
• John Meson: FOD & FCOD.
• Stanley H. Cohn: FOD.
• C. Frederick Matthews: born 28/l1/22 in Guelph. Ontario; FOD.
• Stanley H. Galezowski: born 2/12/33 in Toronto, Ontario; E&D
• Leslie G. St. Leger: born 6/2/22 in Calcutta, India; E&D.
• Robert E. Vale: born 8/12/22 in Toronto, Ontario; E&D, Science Payload, Srructures and Mechanics Chief, ALLM (presenter)
• David D. Ewart: born 8/2/27 in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England; E&D, PMO (at North
• Richard R Carley: born 27/4/27 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan; E&D (guidance, navigation and control expert)
• Bruce A. Aikenhead: born 22/923 in Didsburg, Alberta; E&D, FCOD Training
• Eugene L. Duret: born 25/5/24 in Creelman, Saskatchewan.
• Owen E. Maynard: born 27/10/24 in Sarnia, Ontario; E&D (Project Engineering, S/C Design Integration), PMO-ASPO (engineering and project management, systems engineering, Mission operations, Operations Management), ALLM (manager and presenter).
• Tecwyn Roberts: born 10/10/25 in Liverpool, England; FOD & Goddard Networks.
• Burton G. Cour-Palais: born 18/4/25 in Najpur, India; E&D, Life Sciences.
• Robert Lindley: facilitated selection of AVRO personnel for STG; later went to MDAC, NASA HQ and GSFC.
• Dennis E. Fielder: born 26/8/30 in London, England; FOD.
• Thomas V. Chambers: E&/D.
• Frank Chalmers: FOD (flight control).
• Joseph Farbridge: E&D (Loads expert, and Operations at GSFC).
• John. N. Shoosmith:born 9/10/34 in London, England; FOD (trajectory software).
• George Harris: E&D.
• James A. Chamberlin: born in Kamloops, British Columbia; PMO (Mercury PM, Gemini PM, Apollo advisor and Boards Chairman, Shuttle expert).
COURTESY; Jim Floyd.
*The "AVRO connection," as Rod Rose called it, swelled the ranks of the manned spacecraft personnel force from about 135 persons to about 160 by April 1959 and, more importantly, provided engineering talents and expertise which simply was unavailable the United States.
CONVERTED TO HTML,
AND HYPERLINKS ADDED, MAY 24, 2009.
ONLINE STORE FEATURED ITEM:
|| HOME | STORE | NEW INFO | CONTACT US | ABOUT US ||
© C© Copyright AvroArrow.Org, 2009. Materials may be freely copied and distributed subject to the inclusion of the copyright notice, and credit must be given to AvroArrow.Org. The site is intended for historical and informational purposes. This site contains links to other Internet sites. These links are not endorsements of any products or services in such sites, and no information in such sites has been endorsed or approved by this site.